I am looking for any suggestions regarding the following delima.

The water pressure from the strainer to the water pump is very low. When you feel the hose with the engne running, it is soft and not expanded or hardened with water intake. It almost feels like air bubbles trapped in the hose. I have checked strainer for leaks, hose for breaks, know that the water is flowing. The only thing that is different is that a new impeller has been installed.

Any hints or experinences appreciated, not sure what to do next?

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Phil, I may be completely misunderstanding, but you seem to be on the vacumn side of the pump, not the pressure (output) side.  If your hose is too soft, it may be ready to be replaced.  If the temp guage is normal and you can see flow in the strainer, I think all is well.

good luck.

eppa hunton

at last

Thanks for your input. Yes it is the hose coming from the strainer to the pump. The temp has a tendancy to rise to an elevated temperature, but when water comes it will drop in temp. to around 120-30 degrees. We are speculating that the rise in temp is due to poor water supply. Under load the port input pipe is very soft or flexible almost like it has air in it  while the starboard engine side has a hose that is firm with water.

Regarding hoses, this is a brand new long block just installed with all new hoses.

Looking for reasons for poor water flow pressure from the strainer?

Thanks.

Eppa Hunton said:

Phil, I may be completely misunderstanding, but you seem to be on the vacumn side of the pump, not the pressure (output) side.  If your hose is too soft, it may be ready to be replaced.  If the temp guage is normal and you can see flow in the strainer, I think all is well.

good luck.

eppa hunton

at last

Simple answer would be an obstructed strainer I think but is there a possibility that she's drawing air between the intake and the pump? A little air can create a lot of cavitation.

On my 1969,31ft commander one engine was overheating. Problems were NOT, thermostat, impeller, etc. The problem was that the top bronze cap over the cylindrical acrylic housing was NOT Making an AIRTIGHT SEAL. Thus it pumped Some water, but not enough. It took 5 trys to get it airtight and then everything was fine. Regards, Willie Leipert

Interesting? Do you have 350"s?  Tell me where this acrylic housing is located and what it does? Thanks. Will follow up. Phil.

William Leipert said:

On my 1969,31ft commander one engine was overheating. Problems were NOT, thermostat, impeller, etc. The problem was that the top bronze cap over the cylindrical acrylic housing was NOT Making an AIRTIGHT SEAL. Thus it pumped Some water, but not enough. It took 5 trys to get it airtight and then everything was fine. Regards, Willie Leipert

Every time I replace an impeller or pull the boat I have to "burp" the strainer to let air out.  If you see any bubbles when the engine is running or any air in the cylinder that will restrict flow.  Loosen the top cap and let the water run out for 15 seconds or so and you will have purged any air in the strainer.

Dave Wilson

42' Commander "Valhalla"

Grand Lake Oklahoma

I have 327Q engines and the acrylic housing encloses the thru hull water strainer and screen filter; located directly in front of each engine right next to the bulkhead to the cabin, not very convenient to work on. The important thing is that the top of the assembly is about one inch ABOVE the exterior water line, so an air gap can get  trapped on top, it woun't leak water but it will suck in air if not sealed correctly. Regards, Willie.

Philip J McBride said:

Interesting? Do you have 350"s?  Tell me where this acrylic housing is located and what it does? Thanks. Will follow up. Phil.

William Leipert said:

although you may be drawing air from somewhere-you have the wrong hose on the intake-the proper hose is rated for suction and has reinforcement built in - it should never feel soft wether is there water in it or not.

+1 to charles maclean.

If you've got soft hoses, the suction can cause them to collapse, which can pretty significantly reduce or even stop water flow. I have even seen multi-layer hoses where the outer layer looked fine but the inner layer had delaminated from it. Under suction, the delaminated inner hose snapped shut and cut off flow. That was a fun one to troubleshoot!

Phil

You may or may not have a strainer like Willie is referring, if you do it will look similar to this                 Bronze Acrylic Strainer

It will be located directly in front of the engine at the thru hull.

The hose should be wire reinforced, probably 1 1/4"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service