Where are the cabin roof fixing bolts on a 38ft Commander

Hi, I am totally new to ChrisCraft and in the last month purchased a 38ft Express for a re-power project. I want to take the helm cabin roof off (the fly came off for transportation), I have found the aft set of bolts but where are the bolts above the front windows? Thanks

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you will need to remove the front window frames to get the top off

Ive repowered a few.  WHY would you want to remove the roof on an express? 

I hire a boom truck and snatch them easily.

When you have an overhead traveling shop crane at your disposal it is a lot safer than using a boom truck. Thank you for your question.

Hi Simon! 

Thank you for clarifying! In that case one other method I have used is an I beam with an overhead crane. See picture. This wasn't my choice but the yard insisted something about OSHA rules ( lah blah blah) But wanted to share that. You just might be really opening a can of worms taking the roof and windshield off. 

Why do you say that? I’ve been thinking about taking my roof off and dismantling the windshield to rebed/ replace the seals and a couple cracked panes. Looks like the hard top on my 31 is held to the windshield by a combination of the interior trim, screws through the top of the frame, and some sort of adhesive/ sealant.

Lee H Dahlen said:

You just might be really opening a can of worms taking the roof and windshield off. 

I know of people who have removed Hard tops for transport (Bigger boats 42-45) and windshields and cracked glass doing so, and couldn't get it all bedded back without a leak or two in the cabin. I'm just sharing info. Proceed as you wish!  

Lee

Hmm, well the reason I’m considering taking the windshield apart is I already have cracked glass and leaks. It’s not a project I look forward to at all but think it needs to be done eventually, all the seals are dried out. I would not do it just to remove the engines though. 

Lee H Dahlen said:

I know of people who have removed Hard tops for transport (Bigger boats 42-45) and windshields and cracked glass doing so, and couldn't get it all bedded back without a leak or two in the cabin. I'm just sharing info. Proceed as you wish!  

Lee

On my 35 express we set up a simple gantry across the engines. We lifted them up then closed the floor hatches and set the engines on a 4 wheel dolly and rolled them aft.

Then we picked them up with a forklift 

In your case you can substitute the forklift with your overhead crain 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service