I'm looking at the wiring on a 120V outlet in my 1980 Commander 410.

The AC wiring looks a lot like house wiring, minus the wire nuts...  

I'm seeing what looks like romex wire - with solid black, white, and bare copper ground wire within the sheath.  The wires are wrapped around the terminal screws on the 120V outlets.  There are a couple of other unrelated atrocities that I've come across, but won't go there in this post...

Was solid conductor wire typical for 120V circuits in that time period?  Or did I just happen to hit a bad example?

Referring to Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" - it appears that the current thought is that I should be using STRANDED wire for AC circuits (as well as for DC) - and should be using full loop terminals on each wire, not wrapping them around the screw on the outlet.

Am I reading that correctly?

What about existing wiring?  I would certainly hope a current surveyor would not expect me to go back and re-wire the entire boat?  Right??   If I should be using stranded wire with terminals, I can do that on any new circuits I add, or any circuits I go in to work on.  Though that will result in a mix of existing old solid wire terminating in the breaker box, and a few new stranded wires with terminals also coming in.

Thanks!

John

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not an expert, but my 27 has solid wire also. I believe that if you did use stranded wire, you'd have to use a larger gauge wire. It seems to me that solid wire looped around the screw terminal is as secure, if not moreso, as crimping on a loop terminal and attaching that to the screw.

Yes, larger gauge is required for stranded vs. solid wire.

Thanks Jim - it's good to know that I'm not the only boat that has solid wire in it.  Though now I have to check and see if ALL of the AC wiring is solid wire...  UGH.  I'm guessing a surveyor might not like that.  But I sure as heck don't want to have to re-wire the entire boat!!!

Solid wire is explicitly NOT to be used on boats.  Should you ever have a claim, you might have difficulty.  For your own peace of mind, you might want to consider replacing all solid wires and eliminating any wire nuts.  By the way, Chris-Craft never used solid wire.  You might want to acquaint your self with ABYC E-11.

Solid wire on a boat is subject to vibration not found in residential application. This can result in the connections loosening over time which can create a fire hazard.

Marine grade stranded wire is "Tinned" to help prevent corrosion. Thus like everything else on our boats is more expensive. I have said this before, if it doesn't say marine on the product, it doesn't go in my boat.

Wire gauge should match the breaker it runs to. 15 amp-14 gauge, 20 amp-12 gauge, etc. The breaker is there to protect the wire when the appliance shorts out.

I should have mentioned this in my earlier post, but... I don't use the 120VAC in my boat. The only things connected to it are a couple of outlets and the electric stove. The wires are so old, I'd never trust them.  We have a 120V lamp in the cabin, but we only use it with an extension cord plugged into a dock pedestal. 

Home  and  boat, and  when  I  was  in  charge  of  plants  an annual  exercise  is/was inspecting  and  tightening  all electrical  connections.  Any new  installation  is done  per current   (no charge  for  a  pun) regs. I haven't  found  a  problem  but  I  have  seen  problems  on neighbors  boats so due diligence  will  continue .  The  little  amount  of original wiring   on my  35 has never  been  a  problem.

Our experience with boat inspectors, is they base their inspections of original rules in place on the era, and any upgrades on current rules in effect.  

I doubt solid wire was the original factory install, my '79 has stranded wire for both AC and DC and it is original wiring (in black/white for ac and dc, though ac is jacketed with ground) A good surveyor will note the non-compiant solid wire in their report and likely you would be required to correct for insurance.

I had a chance to look at more of the wiring this weekend.  Looks like at least a good portion of the AC wiring may be stranded.  Additions may be romex...  

At least I now have stranded marine grade wire and proper terminals for anything I need to work on, and anything else I find messed up that I can fix.

Also be careful with what wire goes where. The 12VDC ground and the 120VAC line (hot) both are black in color. Can make for a very exciting situation.

John Meyer said:

I had a chance to look at more of the wiring this weekend.  Looks like at least a good portion of the AC wiring may be stranded.  Additions may be romex...  

At least I now have stranded marine grade wire and proper terminals for anything I need to work on, and anything else I find messed up that I can fix.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 National Rendezvous Postponed

More information Click Here

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service