Hi and thanks for adding me . I am in need of props for my boat. I have located several pairs. The boat is in the water and I am ready to pull it out for a bottom job and new props . the diver said the ones i have are crumbling in his hand. I would like to have the replacements before I pull it out. I only have a couple of days to get the work done and hoist it back in. I dont know what size I need . I dont know the gear ratio. the only cast number I could find on the transmission is Commander cmi 90-985 it has been re-powered with 460s . I would assume they are fords based on the cast # . they have edlebock performer 460 manifolds and carbs. I know the orignal boat with 300 hp (twins) was to have a 22x24 with the 431 lincoln . or diff prop for the 327. I have located props from 19" to 23". I am hoping to put 22x26 on it because I found a really good price for those.

Views: 259

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, the crumbling props.  Are you in salt or brackish water and do you have zincs on the shafts etc?  If not is there stray current leaking into the slips?

There was a major refit of Liria, a 38 owned by Lawrence Neisler, this mod was assisted by Commander Curmudgeon, Dick Morland and at the time there were many documented photos in an album which I can't find at the moment.  Liria had the 431 and was re-powered with 8.1.  I think the shaft diameter was increased but that may have been Greg G's 35 with a similar re-power at the time.  I am pretty sure the props were bigger in pitch but this was an MPFI engine, if yours are carbed there would be some reduction in torque,probably.  Were I to guess and have to make a spot decision I think I would go with the 22X26 and have an inch of pitch removed.  This should be easily done when you have them check for balance etc. prior to installation.  It would be good to have the numbers from the old props or at least the estimated pitch which the diver should be able to determine.

Bear in mind this is worth exactly what was charged and backed by the same warranty.

Good luck, Tim

thanks for the advice Tim

Timothy "Tim" Miller said:

First, the crumbling props.  Are you in salt or brackish water and do you have zincs on the shafts etc?  If not is there stray current leaking into the slips?

There was a major refit of Liria, a 38 owned by Lawrence Neisler, this mod was assisted by Commander Curmudgeon, Dick Morland and at the time there were many documented photos in an album which I can't find at the moment.  Liria had the 431 and was re-powered with 8.1.  I think the shaft diameter was increased but that may have been Greg G's 35 with a similar re-power at the time.  I am pretty sure the props were bigger in pitch but this was an MPFI engine, if yours are carbed there would be some reduction in torque,probably.  Were I to guess and have to make a spot decision I think I would go with the 22X26 and have an inch of pitch removed.  This should be easily done when you have them check for balance etc. prior to installation.  It would be good to have the numbers from the old props or at least the estimated pitch which the diver should be able to determine.

Bear in mind this is worth exactly what was charged and backed by the same warranty.

Good luck, Tim

Gary - what Diameter shafts do you have?

Hi Gary:
The diameter of the shaft is a definite need to know in order to have the new props have the correct bore. If the bore is undersized on those new wheels then the prop shop can rebore them in order to accommodate your current shaft diameter.

As to pitch, Tim suggested taking one inch off to 25”, my bet would be staying with 26”.
However, both are educated guesses. I have a formula that is used for repowers which calculates accurately to the nth degree for precise sizing. For this to be calculated lots of info would have to be gotten in order fill in the variables in the formula starting with your reduction gear. As an alternative, I would stick with the 26” pitch because repitching to 25” and then find out that you are undersized and then need to repitch back to 26” is something to be avoided. The twisting of the blades when repitching causes great stress on the individual blades causing them to weaken. Repitching once is OK, but not twice. Furthermore, are the “New wheels” maganize bronze or NIBRAL. Very important question.

Questions:
Are the “new” props 3 or 4 blades? And the “old” props?

The diameter of your shafts should be 1.5”, preferably Aquamet 19 for fresh water use or Aquamet 22 for salt water use and with proper zincs on them. Is this what you have?

Let me know.

Jim Rivas

I have a set of 23x23 4 blade, 1.5" shaft for sale. They came off a 38 Commander, they were the spare set so almost no use. I've had them tuned, so they are near perfect. I only had them on my 47 for 2 weeks.

Here is the classified thread:
23x23x1.5

Sorry for my delay in responding...I have been working on the boat. I have purchased the props that will go on her 22x26 1 3/8 shaft . I appreciate all of your help. Hopefully by the end of the month she will leave the slip for the first time in 10years

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 CCCC Wall Calendars Available Now!!

The Limited Edition 2020 Chris-Craft Commander Club wall calendars are now available for order.  Photos for the calendar are selected from our photo contest entries and photos uploaded to the CCCC gallery.  Proceeds from the sale of these calendars go towards operating our otherwise dues free club

Click HERE to get more details and order your calendar.

Click HERE to see the photos selected for this year's calendar.

Nominations for Executive Committee 2019 

More information click here

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service