We have a 47 foot Commander. The rudder posts are leaking pretty badly and the wood blocks the shaft comes up through are in tough shape. We need to pull her for bottom paint soon and it seems a good time to fix the rudders. Anyone have a diagram or cross section? Anyone have details on replacing the wood blocks? Any recommendations? Access is bad up next to the fuel tanks and all.

Views: 464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We just had this done on our 42 last fall.  I bought a block (nicely made from teak) from a forum member, but your yard can make replacement blocks.  Although access is tight, it seemed a routine job for the boat yard, and they did a good job on it.  Now that I know what is involved, I think I could have done it myself once the boat was out of the water, but we were not able to be at the boat at that time.  We had removed all the shelving behind the bunks (inside) and were almost all the way in so that we could determine that the leaks were coming from the blocks and not our fresh-water tank or swim platform mounting.  Good luck with your project. 

Have you tried to tighten the compression nut? The packing may have worn some. If you are going to try to tighten it, take a brass or plastic brush to the threads. Clean them first or you will jam the grud in the threads and it can get very hard to turn. At minimum it will slow the waterfall down.

Our stuffing boxes have something on the side that looks like a capped garden hose connection. any idea what that is for?

When you say "stuffing box" on a thread about rudders, it's not entirely clear what you mean. A picture might be worth way more than 1,000 words.

Craig Mason said:

here is a picture, i need to know if there is packing inside like a prop shaft stuffing box or not. i doubt it has ever been serviced. there is a cap to put grease in but i have never seen a grease gun that would fit it. any idea what kind of grease to use?

It is packed like a prop shaft stuffing box, same stuff. In that picture above you loosen the top nut and adjust with the bottom. Then tighten the top nut to lock it down. Looks like a liberal soak of Kroil or PB Blaster is in order for those.

Craig that gizmo is a grease supply.  It should be filled with grease and periodically you give it a twist or two to push grease into the innards.  It probably is still full with the original grease.

Tim

Craig Mason said:

Our stuffing boxes have something on the side that looks like a capped garden hose connection. any idea what that is for?

Thanks Bruce, got a good idea how to proceed now. I am going to dismantle the whole thing and replace the packing. they sure didn't give me much room! and PB Blaster and a wire brush for sure.

Craig

Thanks Timothy, looks like i need to get some grease.

Timothy Miller said:

Craig that gizmo is a grease supply.  It should be filled with grease and periodically you give it a twist or two to push grease into the innards.  It probably is still full with the original grease.

Tim

Craig Mason said:

You have to hold the bottom adjustment nut while you unscrew the lock nut, otherwise they will come out together and be locked together. I thought that stuff was all brass. After soaking in penetrant, a couple of sharp impacts will help fracture the corrosion and let it penetrate.
br/>

Craig Mason said:

Thanks Bruce, got a good idea how to proceed now. I am going to dismantle the whole thing and replace the packing. they sure didn't give me much room! and PB Blaster and a wire brush for sure.

Craig

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 National Rendezvous Postponed

More information Click Here

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service