Looking at getting a trailer for my 31 Commander. Trying to get an idea of where the axles will need to be to properly balance the boat. Any pictures or measurements would be helpful.

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On my 27 the axles sit right below the motors where all the weight is. The boat sticks off the trailer a bit but never a problem towing it up steep hills or anything.

We had one made for our 73' 31 ... tri axle.. 16K capacity.. brakes on all axles.. this was an over the road trailer made for hauling long distances.. Heavy Duty everything.

If all your wanting is a yard trailer they can be made for less..

Attachments:

That’s a really nice looking trailer!

I have a line on a used trailer that I think will be adequate, nothing more though. It’s 19.5’ from the bow roller to the center axle, I’m thinking the bow will probably overhang the roller by about 18”. Looks like the center of my engines are 9’ from the transom, putting that point 1’ behind the center axle.  It’s a lighter triple axle with a 9,100lb capacity. The trailer would be used to haul the boat 50 miles to my house and back each spring/fall. I would definitely move it with all tanks empty and all my stuff out of it. 

C E Caron said:

We had one made for our 73' 31 ... tri axle.. 16K capacity.. brakes on all axles.. this was an over the road trailer made for hauling long distances.. Heavy Duty everything.

If all your wanting is a yard trailer they can be made for less..

Mike, been hauling boats big n small for 45+ years.. my 31 for 11yrs...

Total GVW trailer weight with a 1973 SF w/bridge was 16380# With braking ability to match and stop the tow vehicle if need be....more to it than just a short haul in an out anytime on the road, any road... Ins. Permits to haul state and county, restricted haul times and speeds, county and state rules are different, frost laws if applicable.. etc.

Make sure of your weight capacity. Especially for braking purposes rather than hauling. Depending on what state your in, certain brakes are required for heavier rated trailers and loads as well signage and lighting rated for capacity. Your said trailer is rated 9100# MAX. 

The average 1971 31 Commander start at 9893# and go up to 10400# DRY weight for shipping from factory. Most average 12500# to 14000# on the hoist lifting. Even if you cleaned everything out and dry tanks your over weight. Mileage driving doesn't compensate safe carry capacity. Tow vehicle needs to be able to handle TOTAL GVW as well.... 

Perhaps add another axle is doable pending frame capacity or different trailer?....   also keep in mind trailer ride height, deep keels on Commanders as well tall, keep under 16' 1-4" MAX ride height ... 16'6" most underpasses if your route requires it.

After spending the time we did back an forth from MI to OH 330mi each way.. add it ALL up.. the trailer is the cheap part.. much wiser to pay the price and have it moved by a local and cut a deal from now on.. get on his regular list.. in and out ea. yr. What we did for 2 yrs.. storage and working on it was the reasons for us to trailer home for winters.

We even moved closer to home, Algonac MI. at AHC.. still 66miles one way.. but no interstate problems hauling.. we cruised to OH on the river instead spring and fall.. Was it worth it?? Would I do it again?  Probably not... add up all the trips we hauled verses having it hauled.. we payed more just for the trailer so we could do the work!! 

Choose wisely.....

That GVW was that an actual weight or max? I was going off of the listed dry weight of 8,125lbs, which should if that weight is somewhat accurate give me about 1,000lb buffer for weight the old girl has gained over the years. I don’t currently have a way to actually weigh the boat though. 

The trailer I’m looking at is a dedicated boat trailer with a GVW of 10,500lbs with max load of 9,100lbs, brakes on 2 axles, I’d probably add them to the third. The truck is appropriate for the job, it’s a 1 ton Chevrolet 3500. 

Ive been having the boat hauled professionally for 5 years, I know it’s 12’ tall on their trailer, I don’t think it will sit 18” taller on most boat trailers, but I would definitely be measuring. 

I’m familiar with the permit process, in Michigan at least, I used to haul my 280 Catalina every spring and summer. That boat road on an 11,000lb tandem axle trailer , it was listed as 6,200lbs dry weight. That felt realistic as it didn’t tax the truck or trailer at all, I figured it was about 9,000lbs boat, trailer and stuff in the boat,  that was an old 3/4 C20 I had. If the boat is genuinely in the 14,000lb range than it’s no question that trailer isn’t going to work. It seems hard to believe it’d be twice as heavy as my 280, but without seeing scale numbers I don’t know for sure. I want a trailer for a few reasons, more flexibly on when I can move it, being able to move it around while it’s at home, better suspension on my trailer  and better support for the hull than on a hydraulic trailer. 

Who did you have build your trailer btw? I’d like to use someone local if possible if I go the new route. S.E. Michigan 

C E Caron said:

Mike, been hauling boats big n small for 45+ years.. my 31 for 11yrs...

Total GVW trailer weight with a 1973 SF w/bridge was 16380# With braking ability to match and stop the tow vehicle if need be....more to it than just a short haul in an out anytime on the road, any road... Ins. Permits to haul state and county, restricted haul times and speeds, county and state rules are different, frost laws if applicable.. etc.

Make sure of your weight capacity. Especially for braking purposes rather than hauling. Depending on what state your in, certain brakes are required for heavier rated trailers and loads as well signage and lighting rated for capacity. Your said trailer is rated 9100# MAX. 

The average 1971 31 Commander start at 9893# and go up to 10400# DRY weight for shipping from factory. Most average 12500# to 14000# on the hoist lifting. Even if you cleaned everything out and dry tanks your over weight. Mileage driving doesn't compensate safe carry capacity. Tow vehicle needs to be able to handle TOTAL GVW as well.... 

Perhaps add another axle is doable pending frame capacity or different trailer?....   also keep in mind trailer ride height, deep keels on Commanders as well tall, keep under 16' 1-4" MAX ride height ... 16'6" most underpasses if your route requires it.

After spending the time we did back an forth from MI to OH 330mi each way.. add it ALL up.. the trailer is the cheap part.. much wiser to pay the price and have it moved by a local and cut a deal from now on.. get on his regular list.. in and out ea. yr. What we did for 2 yrs.. storage and working on it was the reasons for us to trailer home for winters.

We even moved closer to home, Algonac MI. at AHC.. still 66miles one way.. but no interstate problems hauling.. we cruised to OH on the river instead spring and fall.. Was it worth it?? Would I do it again?  Probably not... add up all the trips we hauled verses having it hauled.. we payed more just for the trailer so we could do the work!! 

Choose wisely.....

Sounds like you've got it under control... have the hoist guy weigh it when you pull it so you know for sure. 

A Catalina and a Commander are NOT in any way the same.. have had both,  construction or quality and weight far as glass and wood used to make them... I took the figures off the "CC E  Guide" as well just look it up on NADA pricing/weights for shipping. 

Far as GVW, yes I weighed the boat on the hoist when pulled, then we custom built the trailer for the boat... weighed again on new 18K trailer and that is what we pulled..16380 the day we weighed in.

Trailer was built by, PJ Associates in Pt. Clinton (419) 732-3305 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/PJ-Associates/138044056243050 

They make all types of trailers as well commercial stuff for Eagle, Shure Line, Floating docks and such.. ask for Steve.. they kept the print design we made up for future jobs.  around $10K estimate.. built for just around 7K after few eng. changes needed. Found they would work with me rather than tell me what I wanted. Was far less than any in MI. location we tried to custom build one. Most want to modify what they make as a standard.. that don't work for me.

Good luck, be safe!

Who weighed it? None of the places I’ve hauled out on lk St Clair have scales on their hoist. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Executive Committee Election is Now Underway!

Click HERE to read about the candidates and cast your votes.  Voting is open until December 14th. 

2020 CCCC Wall Calendars Available Now!!

The Limited Edition 2020 Chris-Craft Commander Club wall calendars are now available for order.  Photos for the calendar are selected from our photo contest entries and photos uploaded to the CCCC gallery.  Proceeds from the sale of these calendars go towards operating our otherwise dues free club

Click HERE to get more details and order your calendar.

Click HERE to see the photos selected for this year's calendar.

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service