Looking at getting a trailer for my 31 Commander. Trying to get an idea of where the axles will need to be to properly balance the boat. Any pictures or measurements would be helpful.

Views: 617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking for the bunk height relative to the cross members. I have 12" bunks, not sure if they'll be high enough for the keel. 

I'll have to measure.  The spacing of your bunks will make a difference in how tall they need to be, and in my case I needed to clear the tires more than anything.  Plenty of space under the keel but close on the trailer tires.  When we move the bunks onto the trailer frame they will probably need to be shorter.

I measured my friend's 31' for a shore station I still haven't been in the water to use, those measurements might help.  I used the prop centers as my zero height, and measured at three places along the length.

How many feet where you hanging off that trailer? Just curious what was the brand of truck that towed the boat... thanks

I'm not sure how many feet hanging off.  The bunks start just forward of the prop log pockets.  The truck was a Dodge Ram 3500 4x4, rented from Enterprise Commercial Trucks.  I needed to shift into 4wd to get it up the ramp in Sturgeon Bay, the rear tires just slipped a little bit and I switched to 4wd.  I put the boat in a few weeks ago with a rented Ford F450 4x4 stake truck.  Will be pulling the boat out soon, but gale warnings this weekend are changing my plans.

David Thomas said:

How many feet where you hanging off that trailer? Just curious what was the brand of truck that towed the boat... thanks

hopefully you are not going far or storing on that trailer as it is way to small for your boat.

There's an awful lot of hull hanging off the back .

The style of trailer best suited for a twin inboard boat is called a fly back and has outer bunks that extend all the way to the transom while still maintaining a pocket for your running gear.

Scott Miller said:

I don't know the tongue weight, it squatted the rented 1-ton truck a bit, and towed like it wasn't there.  I'm sharing this trailer with my friend who has a '69 version of my boat, we want to move the bunks up onto the aluminum trailer frame instead of on the cross-members.  Can't really tell you the height, relative to what?

heres an example of a 30' commander on a fly back trailer

I tried mine on the trailer, it's further forward than yours, only sat my 1 ton K3500 down 3 1/2". I'm not sure what that means weight wise, but didn't seem overloaded. It might even be able to go further forward. Of course I may have more weight further back on my 31 than a Sports Express. My trailer is way overkill, but it's what I could find. It started out 47' long, I've already cut 5' off the toung, will end up cutting some off the back too as there's a crossmember in the way of the running gear. Glad to hear you can launch and retrieve it, that's a concern I've had.  

General rule of thumb for tongue weight is 5-7% of the GVW. 

My friend and I will haul our boats about five miles to his boat shop for storage, I'll put stands under it for the winter.  We did haul it from Sturgeon Bay to Holland on that trailer, although much of that was sitting still inside the Badger ferry.

You probably don't want to see how short the bunks are on my hoist.

Jeremy Goldstein said:

hopefully you are not going far or storing on that trailer as it is way to small for your boat.

There's an awful lot of hull hanging off the back .

The style of trailer best suited for a twin inboard boat is called a fly back and has outer bunks that extend all the way to the transom while still maintaining a pocket for your running gear.

Scott Miller said:

I don't know the tongue weight, it squatted the rented 1-ton truck a bit, and towed like it wasn't there.  I'm sharing this trailer with my friend who has a '69 version of my boat, we want to move the bunks up onto the aluminum trailer frame instead of on the cross-members.  Can't really tell you the height, relative to what?

Measuring that is the problem. Right now I still don't even really know how much the boat weighs 

Nat Brady said:

General rule of thumb for tongue weight is 5-7% of the GVW. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2021 Chris-Craft Commander               Club Wall Calendars            *Now Available For Order * 

The 2021 Chris-Craft Commander Wall Calendars are now available for order through November 10th. After November 10th, calendars will not longer be available, so don't miss out. Place your order today!!!!

The photos that will be included in the calendar can be viewed HERE.

Proceeds go towards operating our otherwise dues free club.

Order Your Calendar Here

Styled In Fiberglass Newsletter - Spring 2020 Issue

Click Here to access this issues, along with past issues, of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's Newsletter

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service