I decided that I should make my own topic for this. In the process of removing my fuel tanks I noticed that one of the mufflers had epoxy slathered over one side. I assumed that it had rusted through and that was the repair for it. Being that on my 31 the exhaust is partially below the waterline to me this was an issue that HAD to be addressed. I removed the entire exhaust system up to the risers, the hoses where also in a pretty sorry state once I opened them up and could see the inside. The one muffler was obviously trashed, the other looked pretty good, but I did find a crack running the length of the outlet.

The next step was to call Marine Sales and see if they had replacements to mine. They did, though upon inspection one looked ok, had a rattle can makeover, the other had been repaired on both the inlet and outlet, I figure if I'm going to have one that's repaired, I might as well have my better muffler repaired. I took it to a friends shop to be welded, but it's not repairable, too far gone.

I'd considered possibly putting a larger exhaust system in since I plan on a repower in the future and would like to go to more powerful engines. However after some digging I found that someone had already put 454's in a 31 and it ran fine on a 3-1/2 inch exhaust. So I'll probably sick with that.

At this point I'm looking at new mufflers, most likely Centek as they seem to be the main supplier of aftermarket exhaust. Though I still toy with the idea of something abit more out of the box. We'll see.

I cut open one of my mufflers to see what makes it tick today. I was surprised to find that it had 2 separate chambers that don't connect. They're not very thick, maybe 3/16ths.

Views: 3675

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Philip, I'm working on my exhaust system and found the photos you posted of your muffler replacement. Can you tell me where you got them and what brand or make they are? I may not be able to salvage my original ones and your solution looks great! Thanks!

Philip J McBride said:

Here's what I did.  Don't think the great sound was sacrificed perhaps a decibel quieter?  Still great sound.

It was a simple conversion. Two mufflers, 6 ft of muffler hose, 16 new clamps and about 2 hours.

Pic's attached for your information.

By the way, my boat is a 68 31' CCC. 

All the best.

Jim, I put tennis balls in the aft scuppers.  It reduces the noise and the station wagon fumes. FWIW

Tim

Jim Frens said:

I like the factory sound too but my wife says it's loud when she's sitting near the stern and we're cruising. I suspect straight pipes would only be a hair louder, since the insides are most likely rusted away. I'm planning to install new Centek Vernalift this spring (Vernatone doesn't come in 2.5 inch size, and it's not speced for below waterline use). Found them at Mesa Marine for a great price. I haven't seen anyone post about replacements that have a factory sound.

Looking at Philip's photo, I'd say that's a Centek Vernatone. 

Greg Beardmore said:

Hi Philip, I'm working on my exhaust system and found the photos you posted of your muffler replacement. Can you tell me where you got them and what brand or make they are? I may not be able to salvage my original ones and your solution looks great! Thanks!

Philip J McBride said:

Here's what I did.  Don't think the great sound was sacrificed perhaps a decibel quieter?  Still great sound.

It was a simple conversion. Two mufflers, 6 ft of muffler hose, 16 new clamps and about 2 hours.

Pic's attached for your information.

By the way, my boat is a 68 31' CCC. 

All the best.

This photo shows one of my original mufflers, and one of the new ones I'm installing. The new ones are Centek Vernalift, which I chose mostly because it's one of the few they make of any line for 2-1/2" ID hose. The inlet sends exhaust / water in at the top of the canister; the outlet tube runs from the bottom of the canister up to the top, so the exhaust goes through 6 gallons of water before exiting. This should make it pretty darn quiet (not that I was going for ultimate sound reduction, I just wanted something that would fit and not corrode). I had to cut out the tabbed-in wood supports for the old mufflers; the new ones will sit on the bottom of the hull. Looking for a hard rubber pad to put under them. My exhaust (27 single) sits right at waterline.

For my 35 I had centek build me custom mufflers to the same outside dimentions as the original cast iron mufflers. I gave them the dimentions I wanted and they engineered their veratone style muffler within it. 

Attachments:

2nd pic what was attached to the second transom outlet?

" Looking for a hard rubber pad to put under them. "

Jim, When I redid my holding tank I was also in need of a hard (but not too hard) rubber pad.  I found these "Secure Step" all weather rubber stair tread covers.  They are the perfect "hardness" for stuff like this and the grooved side is nice in case water needs to make it's way through.  Got them at Home Depot (or maybe Lowes), a set of three for $25.  8" x 36".  Should work perfect and you'd have one left over for other stuff...

Say Robert... In the last photo above, where are we looking? Is this under the floor in the salon? Also, what model of boat is this?

The holding tank on my Commander 31' is aft of the starboard engine. If there's a way to reclaim that space I'd like to know about it! Thanks!!

"Say Robert... In the last photo above, where are we looking? Is this under the floor in the salon? Also, what model of boat is this?"

Holding tank is under the first hatch forward of the companionway.

She's a '74 36 Commander Tournament 

I thought about putting a tank there on my 31. but there’s 2 problems, one the way the floor is laid out I’d have to disassemble the whole interior to get the floor up to put a tank in. 2 There’s not nearly as much room under there as I though. 

Robert Schepis said:

"Say Robert... In the last photo above, where are we looking? Is this under the floor in the salon? Also, what model of boat is this?"

Holding tank is under the first hatch forward of the companionway.

She's a '74 36 Commander Tournament 

sorry for the very untimely response here (i missed this one somehow)  the 2nd outlet was for the boats original generator exhaust. when i got the boat a hose was attached to it and just laying in the bilge at the other end. kind of dangerous really. If the boat were in a following sea water surly would have been coming in . 

Timothy "Tim" Miller said:

2nd pic what was attached to the second transom outlet?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service