Hi All,

Anyone have a source for the gasket set required to completely rebuild a 327QA?

I recently acquired a 1970 XK-19 with only 305 hours on it.  Unfortunately, it had been sitting outside, uncovered since 2005 and the entire interior and floor was completely rotten.  I have since removed and will be rebuilding the interior.

At the time I took possession, I asked the previous owner why the 8 spark plugs had been removed and were sitting on the floor of the engine compartment.  I was informed that in 2012, he had removed them, and sprayed Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder with the intent of trying to get it started again.  He never turned it over, and never replaced the spark plugs.  Although I live in relatively dry Northern California, it does rain here, and we get occasional fog; I stuck an endoscope into each spark plug hole, and discovered 2 suspicious cylinders.

Over the weekend, I pulled the motor and started tearing everything down.  Once I removed the heads, I confirmed that the #2 cylinder had rust on the walls that looked like stalactites.  I'm currently evaluating options that include having a local engine rebuilder look into as little as honing the cylinders, all the way to sourcing a new/rebuilt long-block GM marine 327.  But regardless, I'm going to need gaskets for all of the peripherals for the 327QA: exhaust and intake manifolds, oil pan, fuel pump block-off plate, remote fuel pump, and all of the various water pumps, manifolds and fitting; and finally the gaskets for the exhaust and water jacket to the tail-pipes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Views: 124

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain  Craig  

The best source for parts and engine work in your area is www.harpursmarine.com .  They are located in the LA  area .  

Tim

-------

I bought all of the Q specific gaskets here when I rebuilt my 350Q.  https://www.seawaymarine.com/collections/chris-craft

I admire your ambition!! So sad that the boat was neglected to that degree, and needlessly so. Good luck with the project!

Thanks for the leads! Harpurs Marine didn’t answer my call or return my voicemail today, but Sea-way answered and confirmed that the gasket set they have listed for the 305Q and 350Q is also the same for the 327Q.

I’m putting together a list of other things like hoses, fuel pump, water pump and carburetor rebuild kits I’m going to need so I can source as many things from the fewest number of suppliers.

I have restored a 1955 Cadillac, I helped my son restore a 1965 Beetle, and I am also the caretaker of a 1955 Jaguar XK-140. We’ve had a Four Winn’s bow-rider for 18 years that I do all the maintenance, and I always wanted to restore an old Chris Craft; it seemed like the intersection of 2 of my hobbies. I was thinking of something wooden, when my neighbor asked if I knew anyone who would want their boat. I asked what they wanted for it, and the wife said: “just get it out of our driveway.”  How could I pass up such a beautiful project? And the XK-19 is the same color as my Jaguar XK; it was meant to be!

Craig,

Congrats on your XK purchase!  You have a lot of work ahead. I’ve fully restored one, gutted and deck removed, back to original condition.  Between myself and Chad Durren we can provide you with information that may save you time, headaches and frustration.  The 1970 XK was a transition year away from the 69’ Commander that was only made for one year. Pretty much the same other than a few things.  Looking at what you have to do it would be a shame to not take it back to original. Just reach out if you want.  Mike

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 National Rendezvous Postponed

More information Click Here

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service