I am going to repower my 38 Commander this winter.   I am debating between two new 7.4L carbureted engines current I have 454s or go with 8.1L fuel injected.   There is a considerable difference  in price.   I am replacing the transmissions too.   Any advise or experience with either option regarding performance or other?   If I go with the 7.4L I am hoping my shafts and struts would not need modification.    If I go with 8.1L they need changing from what I was told.   8.1L is more fuel efficient, but has more HP so fuel savings might not be that much given the boat size.    

Thanks,

Mark

Views: 2459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On the 35 the old engines are only inches from the Bulkhead which makes replacing impellers especially "fun"

The 8.1s with their much smaller tranys will significantly improve this space by more than a foot

Heres what the old motors looked like in there 

Odyssey,

Thanks for sharing these pictures.   They've got me really excited.    We have the same boat and I also have the original props.     Replaced the fuel tanks last year with 140 gallons a side.     Last question .. were you able to keep the shafts without modification?     Honestly before seeing your pictures I was considering repowering with 7.4 new carbureted.   The difference in price is only $5,500 to the 8.1s so my decision is made 8.1 it is.    Other have these engines in the 38 Commander with excellent results.   

Thanks,

Mark

I repowered my 36TF with 8.1s almost 2 years ago---they have been spectacular---you will love them.

Hi Mark,

I’ve got tons more pictures- the boat has been updated throughout save for perhaps paint- all new teak outside, new salon door panels, drainage system to prevent water leaking into the aft bilge, rebuilt the deck hatch to the aft bilge (at least 2-4 gallons of water came out when we started drilling it from the underside- was totally rotted inside), two new AC/heat units plus ductwork, new LED lighting + headliner, new teak/holly floor in the galley & v-berth, new toilet & holding tank, new countertops in the galley, upholstery throughout, refinished the interior teak, etc.  Mechanically you’ve seen much of it- engines, generator, fuel tanks, framing & cradles for the tanks, bilge paint and various others.  

To answer your question though- we did buy new shafts, bearings and dripless shaft seals.  Props were original, though we did have them serviced.  

Question for you- do you have pictures you could share of your 140 gallon tanks?  I’m curious how the fit is given the significant increase in size.  Any issue getting them in there?  What is your timeline on the engines and have you done any other major work to the boat?

Thanks,

Mike

Mark Regenhardt said:

Odyssey,

Thanks for sharing these pictures.   They've got me really excited.    We have the same boat and I also have the original props.     Replaced the fuel tanks last year with 140 gallons a side.     Last question .. were you able to keep the shafts without modification?     Honestly before seeing your pictures I was considering repowering with 7.4 new carbureted.   The difference in price is only $5,500 to the 8.1s so my decision is made 8.1 it is.    Other have these engines in the 38 Commander with excellent results.   

Thanks,

Mark

Odssey, that is impressive. You are way ahead of me, but I am headed in your direction. On the shafts did you replace them because if the length or thickness? Mine are 1.5 inches and I was hoping to save that expense. We can take this offline and I can share pictures. Fuel tanks fit just fine and came in out the bildge opening. Aluminum epoxy coated. My boat I put new vacu flush system, new teak on sides of salon doors outside, new airconditioning systems with total BTUs of 33,000, new garmin. electronics networked, replaced rear railings and hinged rail, repainted strips, and added outriggers. Lots left to do like outside teak, interior floor covering and cushions.

Mark

Mike,  here are two picture of my new tanks  .

2018.04.19AmadaRepairs%2812%29.jpg

2018.04.19AmadaRepairs%2814%29.jpg

Hi Mark,

Haven’t forgotten about your question on the shafts- I don’t recall to be honest.  I’ll check with my father (with whom I did all the work) and let you know.  

Where do you boat out of, and how long have you had your 38?

Mike

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Regional Rendezvous Hosts Wanted

Are you yearning for a little fix for Commander-itis?

Would you like to meet other Commander owners in your area?

Do you have a great idea for a Commander gathering on or off the water?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we have just the remedy for you: We encourage you to think about hosting, or, indicating your interest in hosting a Regional Rendezvous in your area in 2019.

For more information about hosting - click here:

Hosting A Rendezvous

Char Pike has volunteered to be the EC “Point Person” for 2019 Regional Rendezvous. Please contact Char if you are interested in organizing & holding a Regional Rendezvous in your area. Char’s e-mail address is rendezvous.commanderclub@gmail.com

Help Wanted!!!

New Faces, New Perspectives - Executive Committee Openings to start in January 2020

Would you like to be more active in the Commander Club? Would you like to help chart our course? Are you willing to commit the time, energy and creativity needed to assist us in promoting and supporting our mission?

We are searching for new faces and new perspectives. Positions start in January 2020 for a two year term.

There are four positions available. Chief Commander, Treasurer, Public Relations Chair and Membership Chair.

Duties for each position are located in the bylaws https://commanderclub.com/page/bylaws

More details about each position here.

The Executive Committee (EC) convenes monthly via conference call. Meetings typically last 90 minutes or less. Most work done via e-mail. Each job has its own time commitment depending on club activities. Current EC members will mentor you.

Interested in any of these positions?

Please drop Char Pike an e-mail at archivist.commanderclub@gmail.com

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service