I have a 1973 410 Commander. I boat in Lake Erie. Pulled the boat yesterday for the  season and found a severe corrosion problem with the trim tab extensions and through hill for the piston rod that drives them on the starboard side. Port side no problems.

The original built in tabs were extended with a stainless steel plate. Actuation is by hydraulic cylinder. I have a photo of what the corrosion did to the plate and all but one SS Screw that held it on. Destroyed. Then I looked at the through hull and found it crumbled to white powder if scraped with a screw driver. Photo below.

I assume the through hull is suspect and should be replaced. Anyone know of a source for one that would be like original or a suitable replacement if original is not available?

The trim tab cylinder and through hill have no wire on them that might be bonding wires, In fact I have not seen any of the through hull fittings bonded. Should they be bonded?

Views: 311

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been wondering about bonding and sacrificial anodes on our Commanders.  My '74 31', and my buddies similar '69 31', have bonding points on the thru-hulls, but no wires and no sacrificial anodes.  They have been around a long time and no corrosion.  Both lived in the Great Lakes, and seems like they would have been set up from the factory to be wet-slipped.

My previous boat was much newer, built in and lived in the Great Lakes, and had factory bonding to everything and sacrificial anodes in the usual places.  Seems like that is conventional wisdom.

I found some pictures of the inside of the trim cylinder installation. Looks like a green wire is indeed attached to the cylinder bracket.

Where is the packing gland? Looks like a hose connects the actual through hull to something. I am guessing the packing is at the top end of the hose?

John Brock

Attachments:

John,

The packing is right where the rod connects. If you look, there is a cotter pin there that allows you to turn it tighter and apply more pressure to the packing. I have to say that part of that assembly looks like mine on the 42. Mine actuator is driven by electric motors tuning a worm gear. Some of yours does not look original. I see aluminum bar, cast iron brackets. Brass and others. This all leads up to Galvanic corrosion. Looking at your tab extension, it seems to look like it was acting as the sacrificial anode. I would be bonding it, putting zincs on it and checking your vessel for reversed polarity and my neighbors. Good luck.

John,

Everything in your pictures points to an electrical problem. That stainless steel trim tab extension should not exhibit that kind of degradation over a summer season.

The corrosion on the trim tab is not what you would see with fresh water and stainless steel. That corrosion is likely the result of stray electrical current.

What was located on your starboard side. dock or a neighbors boat? If it is the dock, then the problem is likely in your boats electrical system or possibly the shore service. I would be looking at the battery charger in particular as the corrosion looks like a DC leakage current through the AC side. If you have an inverter, that is also a probable problem area.

A bad or broken ground wire in your service cord, plugs or boat service wiring could also be the culprit.

I would also be looking at the boat that was on your starboard side for similar corrosion signs.

No matter what the actual source of current is/was, it is a very serious safety issue and possible electrocution hazard.

Your thru hull for the trim tab should be replaced as it is likely on the verge of failure. It appears to be a standard bronze thru hull with a stuffing box attached on top via a hose.

Technically. it appears that your trim tab is actually bonded as that is the reason you got the degree of corrosion you did. It is interesting that the port side is normal which once again, indicates serious DC leakage current in the water on your starboard side. Zincs might have helped slightly but it is very probable that they would have disappeared in a very short time and still left you with severe trim tab corrosion.

John Brock said:

I found some pictures of the inside of the trim cylinder installation. Looks like a green wire is indeed attached to the cylinder bracket.

Where is the packing gland? Looks like a hose connects the actual through hull to something. I am guessing the packing is at the top end of the hose?

John Brock

I cleaned up the bronze thru hull and tab mounting bracket. Photo attached. Seems like the thru hull is still pretty thick. I would replace it if I can find one. Ron, you mentioned it is a standard part. Do you have a recommendation on a source for it? If so please let me know.

The battery charger is a marine specific model only a couple years old. Nothing else changed on the AC or DC side in over a year. I could believe a bad connection in the shore power connector or power cord. Will check connections on inside of shore power cord. Would a bad neutral connection result in current going back thru the ground connection cause this ?

I am powered up on the hard thru a ground fault breaker. No problems but the only thing running is some lights and battery charger.

Any tests I can make to track this down when I launch next spring? I can get a silver half cell to make some measurements of voltage in the water relative to onboard metal components. Look at that with various circuits operating.

No reports of any issues with other boats....so far.

Thanks for you input.

John

1973 410

Attachments:

Added photos

John

Attachments:

I may have discovered the problem. When looking at the cylinder mounting bracket there were three small gauge wired with push on connectors that were laying loose on the bracket metal. No green ground connection. These are undoubtedly from a trim tab position indicator that went away long ago. Probably 12v, common, and signal. Could have been the 12v was in contact with the bracket.

John Brock

John,

Here is the Groco web page for the thru hull that is probably a very good match.

https://www.groco.net/products/fittings/hose-thru-hull-fittings/hth...

The HTH series has an included hose barb on the end.

If the 12V was always hot and in contact with the bracket, that is a very likely answer to your problem. It would likely be a good idea to check the other side also, likely same scenario on that side.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2021 Chris-Craft Commander               Club Wall Calendars            *Now Available For Order * 

The 2021 Chris-Craft Commander Wall Calendars are now available for order through November 10th. After November 10th, calendars will not longer be available, so don't miss out. Place your order today!!!!

The photos that will be included in the calendar can be viewed HERE.

Proceeds go towards operating our otherwise dues free club.

Order Your Calendar Here

Styled In Fiberglass Newsletter - Spring 2020 Issue

Click Here to access this issues, along with past issues, of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's Newsletter

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service