Over the winter of 2020-21, I did valve jobs on both of my 427 engines, then installed aftermarket oil coolers and bypassed the originals. Next, I put new diaphragms in the OEM fuel pumps, and for the first time since we bought the boat in 2011, our 42 DC would jump up on plane and scoot. But then a month ago the starboard engine got warmer than usual ~185°. Dropping the RPM didn't bring the temp down, so I shut it down and ran on the port side back to the marina.

Next day, I found that the coolant level was low. I figured maybe I just hadn't burped it enough back in the spring. So I topped it up and went for a spin. Everything seemed fine.

A week later, the starboard engine once again got warmer than usual. Same pattern as before--a gallon of coolant went somewhere. But it wasn't in the bilge.

Things got busy, so I didn't take the boat out for a few weeks. Until yesterday. We hit the water and within 3 minutes at ~1,000rpm the temp took off again.

Today I popped the radiator cap and started filling...and filling...and filling. I'd put in a gallon of antifreeze, then go fill the container with water and pour it in the expansion tank. It'd almost go to the top, then I'd go fill the container with more water. But when I came back, the fluid level in the expansion tank was very low. This process repeated several times before I decided there's no way this thing has that big of a cooling system.

I started thinking all sorts of dark thoughts--my new head gaskets leak, by block or head(s) cracked. I checked the oil level and found it was perfect. So the coolant wasn't going into the pan. And that's when I noticed liquid dripping from the exhaust manifold studs (outboard, natch).

So I started pulling the exhaust manifold and discovered where all of those gallons of coolant were going: into the exhaust side of the log! Since the bend at the top of the riser is higher than the cylinder head, I figured I better pull the spark plugs. Coolant gushed out from 2 of the 4 spark plug holes on that side. I hit the starter, and jets of coolant sprayed out of 3 of the spark plug holes on that side.

After removing the log, I shone a flashlight inside the exhaust tube. I didn't see anything out of place at first, but then something caught my eye on the far side (the front end of the log). I pulled the front plate off the log and found a large perforation in the cast iron you can see below. As I was pouring gallon after gallon of antifreeze in the top, it was filling the manifold and riser, then flowing through the exhaust valves into the cylinders.

If anybody has any spare exhaust log front plates they can spare, I'm interested. I could weld the hole, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't last long.

Cheers,
Q

Views: 356

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a guy on eBay parting out a CC 427.  I can't attest to the condition of the logs, but its probably worth an ask: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393392855167?hash=item5b980a987f:g:HbMAAOS...

Thanks John. I was in contact with him yesterday and may buy some of those pieces.

What bothers me about these things is that the engines have less than 800 hours on the Hobbs meters. When I got the boat, the port engine had a perforated intake manifold in the exhaust crossover. Others here have written about that problem over the years, but I disagree with their conclusions that an exhaust crossover for intake manifold heating is necessary in a marine application. Disabling it is the right approach, so I "modified" an old stainless steel butter knife and used the resulting material to block the port and solved that problem years ago.

Don't tell the missus...

But what is it with these marinized 427s devouring cast iron? The Detroit Diesel 671s in my old Connie never had cast iron parts perforating like this, and they had 4x as many hours on them. I posted this, in part, because I was curious if others have had similar issues.

Crossover on port engine perforated while checking stbd engine mods. Unfortunately I was at full throttle hard over in a turn monitoring the stb when rpm drop began and all oil was gone, blown out the fill tube, the plug later found in the bilge, and engine locked before I reached the key.  Repower included low pressure alarms, idiot lights and pressure gauges.

Tim

Q, Call me. I am pretty sure I got one. Scott

Only 800hrs of run time, but 440,000hrs exposed to sea water. 

Thx Scott! You got mail!

Mike, that's the funny part. This exhaust log end cap is at the end farthest away from the exhaust outlets. It's also farthest away from the showerhead section of the riser. And the it's coated with a fine layer of carbon, not rust. You'd think if it was sea water exposure that took it out, there'd be evidence of salt corrosion.

I wish I had a cutaway of the OEM intake manifold where they perforate at the exhaust crossover and this forward exhaust log end cap, just to see if they maybe skimped on wall thickness in those spots.

I preheated mine and MIG welded a patch, but it was not a pretty repair. It holds fluid, but I don't have the means to pressure test. Hopefully, my man Scott/Sterling will have one that'll work.

I'm sure that corroded from the water side in. 

Quentin said:

Thx Scott! You got mail!

Mike, that's the funny part. This exhaust log end cap is at the end farthest away from the exhaust outlets. It's also farthest away from the showerhead section of the riser. And the it's coated with a fine layer of carbon, not rust. You'd think if it was sea water exposure that took it out, there'd be evidence of salt corrosion.

I wish I had a cutaway of the OEM intake manifold where they perforate at the exhaust crossover and this forward exhaust log end cap, just to see if they maybe skimped on wall thickness in those spots.

I preheated mine and MIG welded a patch, but it was not a pretty repair. It holds fluid, but I don't have the means to pressure test. Hopefully, my man Scott/Sterling will have one that'll work.

Could be. But it's a fresh water-cooled engine, and there's just not very much corrosion on the water side of the part. Also, it doesn't show up in the photo, but the perforation is in the middle of a depression in the casting. It'll be interesting seeing if that depression was part of the original casting.

Mike H said:

I take it that the engine has a closed system. With that said, how often do you change the antifreeze in the closed system. I have been told that , over time, the antifreeze builds up electralites and can start eating away at engine parts from the inside. I've had this happen to my Monte Carlo but it only ate the intake gasket. Since that episode I change antifreeze every year in the closed system and have had no problems. I actually use the antifreeze that I take out of the closed system and use it to help do the raw water side. Dave

The depression is likely how it was cast. I suspect that you probably have a part that suffered from some core shift and likely casting porosity.

Quentin said:

Could be. But it's a fresh water-cooled engine, and there's just not very much corrosion on the water side of the part. Also, it doesn't show up in the photo, but the perforation is in the middle of a depression in the casting. It'll be interesting seeing if that depression was part of the original casting.

Mike H said:

CCCC member extraordinaire Sterling/Scott Shriber sent me a replacement part. It shows zero depression/ corrosion/ erosion in the area where mine failed. The exhaust side is clearly where mine was defective.

In related news, I drafted a dry-stack stainless steel riser solution. 0.065" wall thickness mandrel-bent SS304 tubing. Should work with the factory copper collector. Could probably be done for ~$1500/set of 2. Word has it the copper risers currently available are ~$1300 each.

Thoughts?

Scott is a power-member in by book.  We have exchanged several parts over the short time we've known each other.  

I am looking to replace may port side risers in the next year and I'm dreading the Marine Manifold Corp price tag.  I did my stbd side this season with a second hand set and the fit and performance is great, so I suppose you get what you pay for.  It would be great if you could design and fabricate these - I would be a willing beta tester :).  Availability of oil coolers, manifolds and risers are the primary factors separating 427s from staying in boats vs ending up in the scrap yards and having a low-cost alternative for risers is a step in the right direction.  I saw somewhere that someone designed a prototype manifold in stainless some years ago, but I think it remained just that.  That would be another great weapon in the arsenal.

Quentin said:

CCCC member extraordinaire Sterling/Scott Shriber sent me a replacement part. It shows zero depression/ corrosion/ erosion in the area where mine failed. The exhaust side is clearly where mine was defective.

In related news, I drafted a dry-stack stainless steel riser solution. 0.065" wall thickness mandrel-bent SS304 tubing. Should work with the factory copper collector. Could probably be done for ~$1500/set of 2. Word has it the copper risers currently available are ~$1300 each.

Thoughts?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Spring Issue of Styled In Fiberglass

The Spring edition of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter is now available for your reading pleasure.  In this issue, Mark and Donna, your Styled In Fiberglass Editors and PR Co-Chairpersons, present a wide range of topics from giving your old, tired counter tops an amazing facelift to a stunning remodel of a Commander dash board with the latest technology.  We hope you enjoy this issue and maybe even gain a few new ideas or tips along the way.    
Click Here to proceed to the Styled In Fiberglass page, to download this issue, as well as, previous issues.

2021 National Rendezvous

Photo Album

2021 National Rendezvous Awards

2021 Rendezvous Award of Distinction Honorees

WE WOULD LIKE TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND THANK THE FOLLOWING FOR THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS/SUPPORT:

•  Pete Beauregard, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Brandolyn Keller, Port O’ Call Manager Algonac Harbour Club
  • Cassandra Long, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Susan Romo, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Algonac Harbour Club Staff
  • Algonac-Clay Maritime Museum
  • Colony Motel
  • Lee Dahlen, Glassic Boatworks, Inc
  • Tim Toth
  • Mike Gibson, Professional Threads Embroidery
  • THE CAPTAINS AND CREW FOR BRINGING THEIR BOATS
  • COMMANDER CLUB EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
  • THE 5000 PLUS COMMANDER CLUB MEMBERS

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service