HI everyone,

Rob

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We just replaced our starboard tank.  Tough job.  We removed the tank (10 feet long) and replaced it with a 9 ft. Tank.  We had less than 1/8" clearance through the cabin to swing the rear of the tank to the cabin door and remove it.  Would not do it again.  It is pretty scary to start cutting up gasoline tanks but I understand their is a method of doing it.  We had a tank made locally and so far so good. Not sure this helps but before you go taring out your interior, measure the tank carefully.

We have been told that you can replace the tank with two tanks and connect them with a large hose up and down to allow them to equalize. Also would not have to bafle them if you use two tanks.

Harvey W. Stackhouse said:

We just replaced our starboard tank.  Tough job.  We removed the tank (10 feet long) and replaced it with a 9 ft. Tank.  We had less than 1/8" clearance through the cabin to swing the rear of the tank to the cabin door and remove it.  Would not do it again.  It is pretty scary to start cutting up gasoline tanks but I understand their is a method of doing it.  We had a tank made locally and so far so good. Not sure this helps but before you go taring out your interior, measure the tank carefully.

Fill it part way with dry ice before cutting, or use a nitrogen cylinder to  purge and let it bleed while cutting.  A trick used back in the day to convert gas tanks to culverts by cutting the ends off.

Tim

The port tank seems okay.  Because the starboard tank was leaking we are now suspicious of the port tank but so far so good.  I did make sure that both tanks now are properly grounded.  Electrolysis was the enemy of our starboard tank.

I used to haul gas and when the tanks needed to be repaired they would run the exhaust from the truck down the fill port and make sure the exhaust comes out the vent before cutting.... just incase someone is needed to remove their tank.....neat little trick
Thanks Charles,I heard that too
Rs

Robert,

We're in the process of purchasing a beautifully maintained1986 338. When we first looked at the boat a few weeks ago it had just been unwrapped and there was a slight fuel smell in the cabin. The owner said the marina mechanic thought it was the port carb and The owner had it rebuilt. There was no fuel smell during our survey or during the sea trial but the owner says it has returned and he is now having the fuel line replaced. 

How did you know the tank was leaking and where was it leaking from?

Thanks

That actually makes me feel better. There is fuel in both tanks and nothing like you are describing. Definitely no fuel in the bilge, just a slight fuel smell, still concerning but hopefully the marina mechanic will have it sorted out. Thanks, I'll let you know. 

HI Roger,

How did you make out with the gas smell?

I had a fuel smell in my 1967 31 with Carter 4 barrel carb. Chased it for two years. It turned out to be the carb diffuser gasket used for the rebuild. New gasket was made from a stiffer material and did not seal properly. Dick Morland knew of this problem and had a fix. Make your own gasket out of better material available at auto parts store. Worked. Check the Super Disc.

John Brock

Still working on it. I went through every inch of fuel line and ended up at the carburetor for the generator. It was leaking at the throttle shaft and mixture adjustment screw. The Walbro carb and/or carb kit is obsolete so I replaced it with a Nikki which bolted in easily after transferring the parts from the old carb. One problem solved and definitely an improvement but did not solve the problem.

There are no leaks anywhere and the bilge no longer smells like fuel but I'm convinced there is a problem with the starboard vent. I can remove the couch and access panels and see the top of the tank where the fuel fill line and vent lines attach. No leaks but inside that compartment there is a strong fuel smell. I haven't been able to see the end of the vent line or inspect the vent nozzle where it exits the hull yet.

Hopefully I can start on that tomorrow.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 National Rendezvous Postponed

More information Click Here

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service