HI everyone

My Port fuel tank is leaking.!!!   Looking at the cabin and bilge area, It seems like I could get it out thru the cabin???   Unscrewing the floor under the Bunk beds?

Would this work?  Has anyone done a replacement?

Can I chop it up,  it has about 5 gallons of fuel in it, Maybe less or none, by the time I get there next week, 

So Far starboard seems fine, but also looks like I could get that out from the cabin..  No way they can come out the engine area, they are 125 gallon tanks and original... tag said 1985.

I want to replace it with smaller tanks that I can access and put in from the cabin.Not a long cruiser boater..

Thanks all

Rob

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We just replaced our starboard tank.  Tough job.  We removed the tank (10 feet long) and replaced it with a 9 ft. Tank.  We had less than 1/8" clearance through the cabin to swing the rear of the tank to the cabin door and remove it.  Would not do it again.  It is pretty scary to start cutting up gasoline tanks but I understand their is a method of doing it.  We had a tank made locally and so far so good. Not sure this helps but before you go taring out your interior, measure the tank carefully.

We have been told that you can replace the tank with two tanks and connect them with a large hose up and down to allow them to equalize. Also would not have to bafle them if you use two tanks.

Harvey W. Stackhouse said:

We just replaced our starboard tank.  Tough job.  We removed the tank (10 feet long) and replaced it with a 9 ft. Tank.  We had less than 1/8" clearance through the cabin to swing the rear of the tank to the cabin door and remove it.  Would not do it again.  It is pretty scary to start cutting up gasoline tanks but I understand their is a method of doing it.  We had a tank made locally and so far so good. Not sure this helps but before you go taring out your interior, measure the tank carefully.

Fill it part way with dry ice before cutting, or use a nitrogen cylinder to  purge and let it bleed while cutting.  A trick used back in the day to convert gas tanks to culverts by cutting the ends off.

Tim

Thanks guys
It's a shame because the tank was Dry,I could have cut it out,but I didnt know it was bad, The PO said he had used it last year but ran it dry for winter because he was selling it,Etc!!! My mistake. I only added 6 gallons or so,Thank God!!!
Harvey, was your port tank good? It looks like if I remove the floor under the bunks I can swing it up and out??
I heard about the dry Ice method also Tim.

The port tank seems okay.  Because the starboard tank was leaking we are now suspicious of the port tank but so far so good.  I did make sure that both tanks now are properly grounded.  Electrolysis was the enemy of our starboard tank.

I used to haul gas and when the tanks needed to be repaired they would run the exhaust from the truck down the fill port and make sure the exhaust comes out the vent before cutting.... just incase someone is needed to remove their tank.....neat little trick
Thanks Charles,I heard that too
Rs

Robert,

We're in the process of purchasing a beautifully maintained1986 338. When we first looked at the boat a few weeks ago it had just been unwrapped and there was a slight fuel smell in the cabin. The owner said the marina mechanic thought it was the port carb and The owner had it rebuilt. There was no fuel smell during our survey or during the sea trial but the owner says it has returned and he is now having the fuel line replaced. 

How did you know the tank was leaking and where was it leaking from?

Thanks

The first I noticed the smell, I had only put about 5 to 10 gallons in the tank.

The next day I noticed the smell and there was fuel in the aft hull,  not a lot but it was coming from the outside area of the tank,against the hull,  about 3 to 4 feet to the back of the boat., I could see that it was trickling down ..

I ran the engine a few times and used a ( in line fuel pump ) to get the fuel out..BUT it could be leaking all along the bottom, I can't see it all.  I'm planning on cutting it up to remove it. 

The drainage was bad prior to my ownership, so water was sitting on the tank and and moisture just sat there .

It looks like the tank could be removed if you lift the bunks, and unscrew the platform, if you still have the bunks.I just filled the Starboard up a little at a time and so far its good, I also have a 30 gallon poly tank.Ill never need 250 gals of fuel, So Ill just replace it with a Poly tank much smaller.

If the smell is still there,  and there is water in the hull, just grab a towel or something and soak some up, smell it,you should see the dampness from the tank going down to the drainage area.

Let us know what you decide to do.

That actually makes me feel better. There is fuel in both tanks and nothing like you are describing. Definitely no fuel in the bilge, just a slight fuel smell, still concerning but hopefully the marina mechanic will have it sorted out. Thanks, I'll let you know. 

HI Roger,

How did you make out with the gas smell?

I had a fuel smell in my 1967 31 with Carter 4 barrel carb. Chased it for two years. It turned out to be the carb diffuser gasket used for the rebuild. New gasket was made from a stiffer material and did not seal properly. Dick Morland knew of this problem and had a fix. Make your own gasket out of better material available at auto parts store. Worked. Check the Super Disc.

John Brock

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Regional Rendezvous Hosts Wanted

Are you yearning for a little fix for Commander-itis?

Would you like to meet other Commander owners in your area?

Do you have a great idea for a Commander gathering on or off the water?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we have just the remedy for you: We encourage you to think about hosting, or, indicating your interest in hosting a Regional Rendezvous in your area in 2019.

For more information about hosting - click here:

Hosting A Rendezvous

Char Pike has volunteered to be the EC “Point Person” for 2019 Regional Rendezvous. Please contact Char if you are interested in organizing & holding a Regional Rendezvous in your area. Char’s e-mail address is rendezvous.commanderclub@gmail.com

Help Wanted!!!

New Faces, New Perspectives - Executive Committee Openings to start in January 2020

Would you like to be more active in the Commander Club? Would you like to help chart our course? Are you willing to commit the time, energy and creativity needed to assist us in promoting and supporting our mission?

We are searching for new faces and new perspectives. Positions start in January 2020 for a two year term.

There are four positions available. Chief Commander, Treasurer, Public Relations Chair and Membership Chair.

Duties for each position are located in the bylaws https://commanderclub.com/page/bylaws

More details about each position here.

The Executive Committee (EC) convenes monthly via conference call. Meetings typically last 90 minutes or less. Most work done via e-mail. Each job has its own time commitment depending on club activities. Current EC members will mentor you.

Interested in any of these positions?

Please drop Char Pike an e-mail at archivist.commanderclub@gmail.com

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service