Hello all. By way of introduction, I'm a relatively inexperienced boater with minimal mechanical skills, but as I learn I like to get as much advice as I can to triangulate to the right answer. I know this club is the place for me so I thank you in advance for all your help.

I own a 1966 '27 Commander "Lola Girl." She came with the original 283 engines and props (14/10's). I have had her repowered with the Crusader 5.7 small blocks and am looking to see what props would be a good match. These new engines gave me a lot more power and my marine mechanic is suggesting either 14/14's or 14/16's. My home port is Petaluma, CA and I do most of my boating on the Petaluma River and San Francisco Bay.

Okay my boating mentors, give me the best advice you've got.So very much appreciated--Deborah

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that's a big pitch change just for 67 cubic inches per engine. I'd hate to see 16" pitch with your 1" shafts, as I think they might be prone to breaking the shaft. Besides, props are expensive. Here's where I would start --- I'd have your present props repitched to 12" and try them. If top rpm was just a tad too high, say 5100 - 5200 rpm, you could then have these same props cupped, which is the rough equivalent of 1" of additional pitch. If you can keep your WOT rpm under 5,000, your're good to go. A 27 Commander with a healthy pair of 350's should hit 40 mph or more at WOT. Hang on to your hat !

There is a Propeller Guide in the Files section of the library.  It is 23 pages.  I'm not sure how much help it will be since the boat is repowered.

http://commanderclub.com/page/file-index

Charlene,

Thanks I already found that, but as you said it's the repower that I need the prop match for. Thanks for the quick response though. Much appreciated.

Charlene Pike said:

There is a Propeller Guide in the Files section of the library.  It is 23 pages.  I'm not sure how much help it will be since the boat is repowered.

http://commanderclub.com/page/file-index

Thanks Dick. Because of my lack of knowledge I'm counting on input like yours to keep me from making major mistakes. Mismatching the props and breaking the shaft would be a perfect example. Thank you and will keep you posted as I work my way through this. Thanks so very much. And yes...I'm hanging on to my hat!

Dick Morland said:

Wow, that's a big pitch change just for 67 cubic inches per engine. I'd hate to see 16" pitch with your 1" shafts, as I think they might be prone to breaking the shaft. Besides, props are expensive. Here's where I would start --- I'd have your present props repitched to 12" and try them. If top rpm was just a tad too high, say 5100 - 5200 rpm, you could then have these same props cupped, which is the rough equivalent of 1" of additional pitch. If you can keep your WOT rpm under 5,000, your're good to go. A 27 Commander with a healthy pair of 350's should hit 40 mph or more at WOT. Hang on to your hat !

Actually, I should be ashamed of myself. I answered a technical question by the seat of my 75 year old pants :-) without checking what SuperDisc had to say on the subject ! And I'm the guy who invented SuperDisc and still serves today as Char's lovely assistant  --- And I didn't look :-( Shame on me !

OK, our resident original prop expert, Jim Wick, answered this question on twin engine 27 Commander props back in 2001 when he said:

The twin 283's used 14X11X1.

This of course changes my answer by one inch. I would repitch to 14 x 13 x 1 for the first trial.Moral of
the story -- Always check the SuperDisc. BTW, SuperDisc 8.0 has about 140 posts specifically
discussing issues purely 27 Commander.

No shame on me! I have the SuperDisc somewhere (I promise I will dig it out), but I wasn't sure that I would understand all the technical specifications. Once again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Dick Morland said:

Actually, I should be ashamed of myself. I answered a technical question by the seat of my 75 year old pants :-) without checking what SuperDisc had to say on the subject ! And I'm the guy who invented SuperDisc and still serves today as Char's lovely assistant  --- And I didn't look :-( Shame on me !

OK, our resident original prop expert, Jim Wick, answered this question on twin engine 27 Commander props back in 2001 when he said:

The twin 283's used 14X11X1.

This of course changes my answer by one inch. I would repitch to 14 x 13 x 1 for the first trial.Moral of
the story -- Always check the SuperDisc. BTW, SuperDisc 8.0 has about 140 posts specifically
discussing issues purely 27 Commander.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service