Hey everybody, this is my first post here.  I am in the process of purchasing a 1983 Commander 410.  A little background on myself... I am a multi-family construction superintendent (fancy way of saying I build apartments).  My next jobsite is in Louisiana and it has over a two year schedule.  The job is 9 minutes from a Marina.  So I am buying a boat to live on for the next two years.

After seeing the boat and doing the survey process one item that stood out to me was that the back railing at the stern was cracked and glued together by a previous owner.  I am posting here to ask for guidance on where to get  a replacement for this rail.  It seems like this will be a tough thing to find.  Let me know if you can point me in the right direction.  Thanks for your help.

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only replacements would be from someone parting out another boat and the rail is likely to be in rough shape.  You might get lucky and find one.

You would be better off to simply make a new one or have a marina make you one.  Any competent marina that works on wooden boats would be able to fabricate one.

You said you are in construction.  Know any amateur woodworkers?

-Darin

Thanks for the reply.  I have only seen the boat in person only once, and I remember the railing being curved which would add a little more difficulty to having one made.  My "woodworkers" are framers, cabinet guys, and trim carpenters.  This kind of work is really not any of their specialties.

Darin H said:

The only replacements would be from someone parting out another boat and the rail is likely to be in rough shape.  You might get lucky and find one.

You would be better off to simply make a new one or have a marina make you one.  Any competent marina that works on wooden boats would be able to fabricate one.

You said you are in construction.  Know any amateur woodworkers?

-Darin

You can either Steam bend a new rail or one can be laminated. Laminating may be easier for you or one of your carpenters to do . Basically a mahogany board is first cut  into thin strips (approx. 3/16") then you get some low grade 3/4" plywood to build a simple bending jig. You screw 2 X 4  cutoffs  to the plywood in the same arc that the old rail is .

line the plywood with wax paper

wipe down all mahogany strips with degreaser

mix some West System resin 105 with hardner  # 209 . The 209 is the tropical mix and will give you the longest working time.

add a little bit of west system thickener # 406 (silica powder)  to the consistency of a heavy maple syrup

Brush the epoxy onto the strips and clamp them together in your jig.

Once you clean off the residual epoxy the new rail can be routered and finished sanded

Fit it on your boat then stain, seal and varnish it .

If you look at the railing you will see a "factory" glued joint at the center line of the boat . That may have opened up . It could be repaired or replaced using this type of joint . Teak is not cheap .

There is not that much curve to the rail.  You could cut the curved piece with a band saw from the square blank.  Square up all 4 sides in your planer.  Use the appropriate router bit with a bearing to trim the correct profile on the edges.

If the guys are making the cabinets, they can make the rail.  If they are simply installing the cabinets, well.....

As others have said teak is not cheap, but the rail is made from teak, so what are you going to do?

One more idea is to repair the existing rail.  Perhaps a scarf joint repair.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint  Again, you need to find someone with the skills to do it.

-Darin

p.s Does anyone know if the rails are mahogany or teak?  I think they are teak.

I've seen both

Darin H said:

There is not that much curve to the rail.  You could cut the curved piece with a band saw from the square blank.  Square up all 4 sides in your planer.  Use the appropriate router bit with a bearing to trim the correct profile on the edges.

If the guys are making the cabinets, they can make the rail.  If they are simply installing the cabinets, well.....

As others have said teak is not cheap, but the rail is made from teak, so what are you going to do?

One more idea is to repair the existing rail.  Perhaps a scarf joint repair.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint  Again, you need to find someone with the skills to do it.

-Darin

p.s Does anyone know if the rails are mahogany or teak?  I think they are teak.

Very good info guys, thanks

Does anybody know what type of wood these rails are made from? I'm looking into making this piece that I need.

I sure would try to repair the existing one first. Epoxy compounds like West System or Abatron are really great for repairing/consolidating deteriorated or broken wood. The broken pieces can be pinned with wood dowels etc and then joined using epoxy

My railing is mahogany and I've been told that Chris Craft used Philippine Mahogany. My toe rails are teak.

Does anyone know the details of what router bit would work? It needs to be specific, to match the gate hardware shape.

Steve,

I bet it is a simple round-over bit. --- > https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pa...

You would have to measure the radius of the round-over on an existing piece or on the gate hardware itself. 

You could practice with some cheap wood, like a 2x4, cut it down into a rectangle shape and practice the edges until you get the profile right.  The bit radius is going to be something like a 1/4 or 1/2 round-over.

There have been so many postings about making the rails, I am surprised nobody as written it up yet.  Has anyone successfully made the rails from scratch.  The prior owner on my boat had them re-made from scratch, but that was well before I was involved.

How big of piece are you guys trying to make?  There is a big difference in making the 15 ft curved aft rail vs. the 2 ft straight gate piece.

-Darin

A photo of the damage would be helpful

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Regional Rendezvous Hosts Wanted

Are you yearning for a little fix for Commander-itis?

Would you like to meet other Commander owners in your area?

Do you have a great idea for a Commander gathering on or off the water?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we have just the remedy for you: We encourage you to think about hosting, or, indicating your interest in hosting a Regional Rendezvous in your area in 2019.

For more information about hosting - click here:

Hosting A Rendezvous

Char Pike has volunteered to be the EC “Point Person” for 2019 Regional Rendezvous. Please contact Char if you are interested in organizing & holding a Regional Rendezvous in your area. Char’s e-mail address is rendezvous.commanderclub@gmail.com

Help Wanted!!!

New Faces, New Perspectives - Executive Committee Openings to start in January 2020

Would you like to be more active in the Commander Club? Would you like to help chart our course? Are you willing to commit the time, energy and creativity needed to assist us in promoting and supporting our mission?

We are searching for new faces and new perspectives. Positions start in January 2020 for a two year term.

There are four positions available. Chief Commander, Treasurer, Public Relations Chair and Membership Chair.

Duties for each position are located in the bylaws https://commanderclub.com/page/bylaws

More details about each position here.

The Executive Committee (EC) convenes monthly via conference call. Meetings typically last 90 minutes or less. Most work done via e-mail. Each job has its own time commitment depending on club activities. Current EC members will mentor you.

Interested in any of these positions?

Please drop Char Pike an e-mail at archivist.commanderclub@gmail.com

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service