Hello everyone.  I have been a long time lurker as a guest here and just this weekend decided to take the plunge, come out from behind the shadows and create an actual user account.

The information available in all facets of this website is extremely useful and I thank all of those who have contributed to the aggregate.

A bit about me: I grew up in a coastal town in New England and spent a great deal of my youth surrounded by boats.  Fast forward 30 years, I have a wonderful wife, and two small children (7 and 4).  Over the last several years we toyed with the idea of a vacation home by the beach.  Here in New England, that means a cuboidal residency in a glorified tenement building for half a million bucks.

This time last year we decided the boating life was for us.  While a boat could cost half a million bucks if we buy the wrong one, I'll take that any day over buying an apartment 3 blocks from the beach.

We have unanimously fallen in love with the Commander 47.  We have been searching the usual haunts (YachtWorld, BoatTrader, Craigslist and local marinas (before the COVID-19 restrictions).  What we are finding is a very wide swing in asking prices.  Now before I get flamed, I understand pricing follows condition (in most cases), so a vessel that is half-sunk in the harbor will likely have a favorable asking price to another that is a showpiece.  However, what I am seeing is a swing from around $25K to $125K for Commander 45/47s out there.  

I guess my real question, again I know value is a subjective thing, where is the market on these boats right now?  What is the market doing amidst the pandemic?  Any insight would be great, and I thank you all in advance.

John

Views: 2386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoy this club so much, Having been a member for 20-yrs, living the dream on my 1967 42-Commander, first chris craft in our family was in 1954. Worked for a large Chris dealer selling chris craft parts for nine years and been a broker for 35-years, Eating breathing selling the chris craft brand. I have sold 42, 38, 31, 30, 27, commanders, 30,36, 41, 55, and 57 Connies. In fact I have a 1966-38-comnander sedan bridge with fresh 8v53 detroits up on yachtworld------a perfect 10 owned by a classic car collector , up on yacht world for 44-K.  Many member's boats in this club that purchased thru a broker I have insight for what they sold for. There have been amazing deals  in recent years.  And know for a little humor-------If you go to Craigslist, Portland Oregon----boats---chris craft. There is a 1972----45--Commander--tw. 8v71;s with 6600-hours, 12-kw Kohler  gen, stock as a box of rocks!----needs a total wet sand, compound and wax----a couple lived on the boat for 20-yrs. I have been on the boat about six years ago.---------for $19,995.  All the chris crafts and pacemakers I have sold with the 8v-71N detroits seem to be very reliable. Friday will be in the 70's----last weekend was mid 80's ----time to take the commander out and burn some fuel. Safe boating to all!   Bob

Darin H said:

What's the concern with 12V vs. 32V?

I thought just the engines are 32V.  Does all the house power run on 32V?  I assumed there was a converter somewhere that brought the house power back to 32v.

-Darin

John Mario said:

Hi Paul,

I looked at it online, and based on the photos I think the Cummins diesels are the most it has going for it.  Why don't people clean their boats before listing them?  It seems like common sense, but with a $90K asking price, the hull shouldn't be chaulked out covered in stains...jeesh.  In addition, it doesn't have the tri-cabin floor plan.  I'm with whoever suggested a private party sale - I feel like many brokers stymie the process and block potential sales opportunities.  I find it hard to believe that anyone's price is firm (unless its a total fire sale) these days.

Paul A Mathias said:

Have you talked to the broker that has the listing for the one in Pittsburgh? It is a 1975 with VT-903's that should be a 12 volt boat. I don't think he is going to get near is asking price.

He can be firm all he wants, but that boat with one non-running engine isn't going to sell for 45k.

John Mario said:

Thanks Jim.  I communicated with the broker last night and the long and short is that "as-is, where-is" in the context of this boat means that the $45K price is firm and no concession will be made to repair the overheating starboard engine.  Based on that and his tone, I'm passing on that boat.

Hello John Mario!

Yes you will be way happier on a boat than any near-beach condo.

However,  to clear up a couple of items.  The old Cummins option is not necessarily preferred simply because replacement parts are non existent.  You can still find rebuilt parts for old 853s anywhere in the world.  An important consideration.

You are right,  the 47 in Pittsburgh looks like a pile of dog doo-doo.  Take it from experience,  a fixer upper will ruin you financially.  Isn't there a real nice 47 still available in Michigan?  That $25,000 boat needs $500,000 not $100,000.  Engine rebuilds are now $5500 a hole not $2K.  When it comes to old boats,  just like classic cars,  if you don't buy the nicest one from day one,  you are kidding yourself.

A 41 Commander costs half as much to OWN than a 47.

John

I have a 3 stateroom,  has the Flybridge.  Most are 2 Stateroom, Ours was changed to the Queen bed in the Master. We made the Mid a single instead of bunk..

First year with her, Hoping to splash soon...   I see a few on Youtube,  Pricing is anywhere from 25k to 125k, Crazy...

If you are ever in Longport NJ,  Give a call...

ROb s

I'm in complete agreement.  I have "fixed up" houses, race cars, collector cars, tractors....I'm not interesting in "fixing up" anything anymore.  I want to spend the first few weeks of the spring thaw doing things like engine tuneups, not overhauls.  

Paul Cavenaugh said:

Hello John Mario!

Yes you will be way happier on a boat than any near-beach condo.

However,  to clear up a couple of items.  The old Cummins option is not necessarily preferred simply because replacement parts are non existent.  You can still find rebuilt parts for old 853s anywhere in the world.  An important consideration.

You are right,  the 47 in Pittsburgh looks like a pile of dog doo-doo.  Take it from experience,  a fixer upper will ruin you financially.  Isn't there a real nice 47 still available in Michigan?  That $25,000 boat needs $500,000 not $100,000.  Engine rebuilds are now $5500 a hole not $2K.  When it comes to old boats,  just like classic cars,  if you don't buy the nicest one from day one,  you are kidding yourself.

A 41 Commander costs half as much to OWN than a 47.

I will certainly look you up.  I've been following your "corona quarantine" build and its been really interesting.  Keep up the good work.

Rob simiriglio said:

John

I have a 3 stateroom,  has the Flybridge.  Most are 2 Stateroom, Ours was changed to the Queen bed in the Master. We made the Mid a single instead of bunk..

First year with her, Hoping to splash soon...   I see a few on Youtube,  Pricing is anywhere from 25k to 125k, Crazy...

If you are ever in Longport NJ,  Give a call...

ROb s

Okay, I may eat my words after all.  I found a promising 1972 Commander 41 an hour from the house that my wife and I are viewing tomorrow morning:

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1972-chris-craft-commander-7451653/

Does the asking price seem fair? high? low?

Look Good!!

Price looks fair compared to others I have seen...Just like the 47,  there all over the place depending on Engine type, and work needed....

Good Luck..

Seems very fair for a boat well taken care of. I would recommend an engine survey, as much as can be checked while on the hard, because the major unknown and major risk is the motors.

Hey John,  the 41 Commander you are viewing looks better than most.  Great Lakes history is more important than most people can comprehend.  Asking price seems very fair depending on the actual condition when you see it.  If it is as clean and nice as the photos,  you may have found your boat...  I once owned a 1972 model 41 and loved it!  Good luck with her.

Thanks for the help guys. We met the broker and she was very helpful. Good history on the boat. 2 owner boat, second owner bought it from this broker two years ago and it never left the spot (on the hard) that it remains today. Very clean boat, but an active water leak on the starboard aft window - actually above it. Wood window surround is rotted. Engine room is spotless. Made an offer, so we will see...

Good for you John.  Right place at the right time.  Sounds like a good one at a bargain price.  After you survey and sea trial it,  make sure you have the boatyard fix that stateroom window.  (and do the port side while you are at it).  Congratulations!  A 41 Commander is all the boat anyone ever needs. Get a professional compound and buff to start out with.  I am very happy for you!   

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service