I have a 1972 Commander 35 Salon

Getting ready to pull the old dead 427 engines and re power with Big block 454 engines. 

Question I have is to anyone that knows how much does it cost to have two new fuel tanks made for the boat?

I would like to remove the old fuel tanks while the engines are out and then install two new tanks with the hopes that I can increase the fuel capacity with the new tanks. 

I'm just looking for a rough cost of two new fuel tanks.... $1k, $5k, $10k????  Tanks Only I will do the labor

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a 200 gal. aluminum tank professionally made with coast guard certification made this spring for right around 1800. It was done with amazingly beautiful welds but it was from a shop in rhode island and cost of alum. is aways changing but hopefully that can give you something to go with

Jeff's figure of $1800 each is pretty accurate.

I had new tanks made for my 35.

They are 125 gallon each rectangular tanks with the side that faces the hull side angled.

I added an additional tank support outboard of the outboard stringers  to avoid having the outboard portion of the tank from cantaleavering. 

The original tank cradels had to be removed in order to leave enough height below the cockpit sole for the increased tank height.

Here's the old ones before I removed them.

Circled is the additional tank frame I added.

It required me to glass some mounting blocks to the boat to bolt the tank frame to.

Here's the new tanks installed. 

I'd love to see some photos of your bilge as I'm curious if there's any major differences in your engine room in regard to how your tanks mount being that you have the very rare salon model 

I would say $10-15/gal will get you pretty close for custom Aluminum tanks. 

https://commanderclub.com/forum/topics/31-fuel-tanks

Are you looking to sell any parts off those 427s (that are still serviceable)?  I'm mainly looking for manifolds/risers and heat exchanger(s).

John 

If intrested I have all four risers from my 427s which are the nice copper ones



John Mario said:

Are you looking to sell any parts off those 427s (that are still serviceable)?  I'm mainly looking for manifolds/risers and heat exchanger(s).

Thanks for the reply- please shoot me a PM with pricing etc.

Look in the classifieds at the PDF for the “Odyssey” for sale. We replaced the tanks when we repowered. The costs for all the work are in the write-up.

How did you get the old engines out of the salon and then new engines into the salon and into place?  Did you cut the top and then re-glass it so you could crane them in?

My plan was to cut big holes in the salon top to get the old ones out and the new ones in then just re glass it all back in. 

Odyssey said:

Nice!  Thank you for the pics and info.

I will have to take some and post them next time I have the bilge open.   I have not taken any of that area as its the only part I have not redone.

What white bilge paint did you use?  It looks great!

Jeremy Goldstein said:

Jeff's figure of $1800 each is pretty accurate.

I had new tanks made for my 35.

They are 125 gallon each rectangular tanks with the side that faces the hull side angled.

I added an additional tank support outboard of the outboard stringers  to avoid having the outboard portion of the tank from cantaleavering. 

The original tank cradels had to be removed in order to leave enough height below the cockpit sole for the increased tank height.

Here's the old ones before I removed them.

Circled is the additional tank frame I added.

It required me to glass some mounting blocks to the boat to bolt the tank frame to.

Here's the new tanks installed. 

I'd love to see some photos of your bilge as I'm curious if there's any major differences in your engine room in regard to how your tanks mount being that you have the very rare salon model 

Question on your AC sizing...

Do you feel that your 18,000 BTU AC for the front cabin is the right size or would you have gone bigger?  Does it keep it nice and cool on a hot summer day or does it just make it tollerable to be in the cabin on a hot summer day?

AC is something we are going to add for sure as man that front cabin gets so hot in the middle of the summer.  

What about the 10,000 BTU AC you have in the salon?   Right size or too small? 

Odyssey said:

Look in the classifieds at the PDF for the “Odyssey” for sale. We replaced the tanks when we repowered. The costs for all the work are in the write-up.

My bilge is painted with water guard 300 epoxy paint made by progressive epoxy heres a link

To their website. It a bit hard to navigate but there's a lot of info there 

https://www.epoxyproducts.com/mar4_wg.html

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

                 _________________________

  

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom


3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

_________________________

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

_________________________

     

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service