I'm considering swapping out my cast iron mufflers if I can't get the pinhole leaks in the bottom of them repaired. I have 1991 Crusader 454s.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the new muffler spec is 5" instead of the 4" we have now. Is that accurate? If so, what's the risk to just replacing everything with 4" (which appears to be several hundred dollars cheaper, especially on hose cost).

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They spec all the exhaust stuff bigger than what Chris Craft used now. I believe the only real problem is possibly a loss of power, but if it's working for you I wouldn't be worried about keeping it the same size. 

You can get a new replica muffler made out of stainless by Kehrig Mfg if that's something you're interested in. I had them copy my cast iron and they sound exactly the same as the cast iron and will last forever. 

https://commanderclub.com/forum/topics/31-exhaust

Every time I drive past Kehrig I think about that discussion. Do you recall what it cost to have them made up (knowing costs have certainly gone up since then, just asking for ballparking)?

I believe they were $400 or $450 each. I remember they weren't a lot more than a good fiberglass muffler. 

Man, that's far more reasonable than I'd expected it to be. I'll give them a call.

Matt if your interested in another alternative,  I went thru all the leg work of having Centek make me a set 5" mufflers that are the the same foot print as the old cast iron ones but with their veratone internals. Id imagine now that they have already made a set , they could probably make another for less than it cost me.  

The part # they assigned to my mufflers is X18026    Veratone MKII 12" x 24" (GC)

They cost about $580 ea.  but again they had time in it to design the first set. 

But, that sound :D 

Find more videos like this on Chris Craft Commander Club

Jeremy Goldstein said:

Matt if your interested in another alternative,  I went thru all the leg work of having Centek make me a set 5" mufflers that are the the same foot print as the old cast iron ones but with their veratone internals. Id imagine now that they have already made a set , they could probably make another for less than it cost me.  

The part # they assigned to my mufflers is X18026    Veratone MKII 12" x 24" (GC)

They cost about $580 ea.  but again they had time in it to design the first set. 

You can buy a Vernatone Mini-Max 4" x 8-3/8 dia. x 16.75 length for $255 each part # 1050400

or a super quiet Vernalift 4" in 4" out,  12" dia.,  22" long  for $363  part # 1500098

www.mesamarine.com

I put Vernalift in my 27, sounds like a diesel now (quiet).

Does the Vernalift put more back pressure on the motor than the regular inline would since you're lofting the exhaust upward?

Jim Frens said:

You can buy a Vernatone Mini-Max 4" x 8-3/8 dia. x 16.75 length for $255 each part # 1050400

or a super quiet Vernalift 4" in 4" out,  12" dia.,  22" long  for $363  part # 1500098

www.mesamarine.com

I put Vernalift in my 27, sounds like a diesel now (quiet).

How do they sound? I know it's heresy to some, but I wouldn't mind quieting the exhaust a bit versus what we have.

Jeremy Goldstein said:

I'd post a video / audio but the boat's not in the water just now.

Hard to tell about back pressure, but it's been running fine for the three years I've had them in there. They sit horizontal, so it's not really 'lifting' the water very far. The sound is a low gurgle, briefly interrupted by the gushes of water when it's pushed out. Mine is a single engine 27' with true dual exhaust. A twin engine setup with each engine routed to one transom outlet would probably sound different.  

My new-to-me 28 Sports Express is VERY loud; I will probably install the same setup in it soon (twin 5.7 MPI Crusaders). Wife said she could hear the boat roaring ten minutes after I left the marina!

I have not got a chance to hear them yet as I'm still in the process of a major restoration. 

Matt Penney said:

How do they sound? I know it's heresy to some, but I wouldn't mind quieting the exhaust a bit versus what we have.

Jeremy Goldstein said:

• Just an FYI e basic power has the Vernalift 1500098  at $305.95 plus shipping. They also have the

•  MUF4MINI for $205.95 and it appears to be identical in dimensions to the 
    • Vernalift 1050400 mini-max

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service