hello.

it’s a 1977 CCC 41 with two marine power 454 engines 

it was winterized for winter. And over this summer I’ve been doing work on the boat.  Including changing fuel tanks and re wire engine gauges etc.

1st question: don’t cringe. But I’ve been trying to (briefly) do a dry motor start. Meaning it’s not in the water. Still on hard stands.  Just to see if it will fire up. But no luck.. 

what am I doing wrong? Or missing? Any thoughts or trouble shooting would be greatly helpful 

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd start by ensuring the gears are in neutral and somehow mechanically lock the prop shafts from turning - they will turn a bit even in neutral and can damage your presumably dry cutless bearings.  Ideally, disconnect the shafts from the gears altogether if possible.

How long have the engines been sitting?  If more than a season or two, I'd recommend pulling the distributors, and priming the oil system with a hand drill.  The bearings and valvetrain are likely bone dry which can cause significant wear during the initial startup.

Lastly, if you are just looking to check for a cough of life, I'd pull the accessory belts off completely - that way you aren't turning any of the pumps - it simplifies things this way.  

Squirt a gulp of gas down the carb and give it a crank.

I don't recommend running much more than a few seconds out of the water because much of the system relies on sea water for cooling.  It doesn't take long to melt your exhaust boots in the absence of water in a wet exhaust system.

Take the belt off your raw water pump too. Really the best way to go would be to get some water to the engines. They make plungers that go over the intakes that you have hook a hose to, 

or put a T in the line between the seacock and the raw water pump, close the seacock, and connect a garden hose to the T. then you can run the motor as long as you want.

Thanks for the advice 

so The DUH moment was/is.  Ignition wire was not connected (re wire of the helm)

so the next question is. Where’s the best place to hook up the ignition wire. I have a on off key and two start stop run switches. 

id assume hook up to ignition side on key?  Is a solenoid necessary? 

tbanks y’all. 

Justin, I already provided you a schematic about how to wire up your systems - please look that over and let us know if you need any further information.  You have the TCS system, and the schematic I provided follows the same 1 key/2 engine switch arrangement.

You sure did : and never said thank you. So thank you! 

John Mario said:

Justin, I already provided you a schematic about how to wire up your systems - please look that over and let us know if you need any further information.  You have the TCS system, and the schematic I provided follows the same 1 key/2 engine switch arrangement.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Spring Issue of Styled In Fiberglass

The Spring edition of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter is now available for your reading pleasure.  In this issue, Mark and Donna, your Styled In Fiberglass Editors and PR Co-Chairpersons, present a wide range of topics from giving your old, tired counter tops an amazing facelift to a stunning remodel of a Commander dash board with the latest technology.  We hope you enjoy this issue and maybe even gain a few new ideas or tips along the way.    
Click Here to proceed to the Styled In Fiberglass page, to download this issue, as well as, previous issues.

2021 National Rendezvous

Photo Album

2021 National Rendezvous Awards

2021 Rendezvous Award of Distinction Honorees

WE WOULD LIKE TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND THANK THE FOLLOWING FOR THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS/SUPPORT:

•  Pete Beauregard, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Brandolyn Keller, Port O’ Call Manager Algonac Harbour Club
  • Cassandra Long, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Susan Romo, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Algonac Harbour Club Staff
  • Algonac-Clay Maritime Museum
  • Colony Motel
  • Lee Dahlen, Glassic Boatworks, Inc
  • Tim Toth
  • Mike Gibson, Professional Threads Embroidery
  • THE CAPTAINS AND CREW FOR BRINGING THEIR BOATS
  • COMMANDER CLUB EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
  • THE 5000 PLUS COMMANDER CLUB MEMBERS

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service