While talking with the folks over on the trawler forum about fuel efficiency, someone mentioned something that I hadn't considered before. 

Since we are running dual engines in our Commanders, does running on one engine only, damage the other?

For instance, my port engine seems to burn less gas than the starboard. Would it be ok to use only my port engine to idle down the ICW, which is usually a very straight course with very flat water? Or would the freewheeling of the starboard engine damage the transmission or the engine itself?

(I still haven't sold her either, and it looks like I may be taking her off the market pretty soon and continuing with the outside cosmetic work.)

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In short - yes, freewheeling can damage the transmissios. The way to do it properly is to secure the non-engaged transmission somehow to avoid “freewheeling.” This can be done with vice grips, ratchet straps, etc.

I often run with one shaft locked out and agree that wrenching off a shaft for short periods of slow running operation can be done safely but if you plan on doing quite a bit of single engine operation then a more substantial solution needs to be addressed. For instance installing a blocking post with enough beef to handle the wrench pressing against it, a determination of where the wrench could go and what it could damage should whatever is holding it fails. In my case the wrench would end up hitting my fuel tanks. You also need to set up a watch schedule to ensure the wrench is still in place as a three hour jaunt down the inter coastal without knowing the wrench has fallen off or started to slip means you may have damaged your tranny or shaft either of which could be  2-3K to repair and that would buy quite a bit of fuel. You also need to determine if your boat can steer well enough on the current rudders with only one engine running to avoid a potential obstruction or wayward boat without having to go to the bilge and disconnect the wrench, otherwise you may need to think about larger rudders. Not being able to steer around a drifting boat or navigate safely through a bridge opening can also ruin a good day on the water. It can be done, just make sure to do it safely.

And the “why” to this discussion is because with the engine off the clutches are turning and creating friction because the front pump is not providing fluid pressure to keep the clutches cool and wet.

Could you leave the transmission in gear? If you're moving slowly I can't see the prop turning the engine over?

The clutches will release when the engine stops due to no hydraulic pressure to hold them. 

Steve said:

Could you leave the transmission in gear? If you're moving slowly I can't see the prop turning the engine over?

The 327 isn't going to be much different than the 307q in fuel burn and the saving of running on one engine probably is non-detectable without flow meters. 

Chart

http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2057945468?profi...

When we race sailboats, we turn off the engine and put it in reverse, which locks the shaft and keeps it from spinning. What is the difference between the two scenarios?

Transmission design 

Kevin Fitzpatrick said:

When we race sailboats, we turn off the engine and put it in reverse, which locks the shaft and keeps it from spinning. What is the difference between the two scenarios?

Kevin sailboats use gear to gear with a clutch dog and synchronizer for direct shifting very similar to a stern drive. The oil is only there for cooling and lube. Powerboats use a hydraulic trans of the same design in your vehicle. The shifter transfers hydraulic pressure (oil) to lock in clutch discs to engage or lock in the gear. When the engine isn’t running the pump supplies no pressure. Hope this explains it for ya!

Thanks Lee! Makes sense now.

Lee H. Dahlen said:

Kevin sailboats use gear to gear with a clutch dog and synchronizer for direct shifting very similar to a stern drive. The oil is only there for cooling and lube. Powerboats use a hydraulic trans of the same design in your vehicle. The shifter transfers hydraulic pressure (oil) to lock in clutch discs to engage or lock in the gear. When the engine isn’t running the pump supplies no pressure. Hope this explains it for ya!
Lee,

What about having the 2nd engine idle in neutral? Would that provide enough cooling, etc. to keep that engine's trans safe and cool?

That would also give you a backup in case of emergency, etc. No need to undo a locking wrench.

I'm wondering where that would put you on fuel burn overall. Our 8.1s burn 1.1 gallons per hour at idle. Might be a good compromise for a long run slow ride.

-Darin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Spring 2019 Styled In Fiberglass is now available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club publishes it's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, twice a year and the 2019 Spring issue is now available for download.  Click here for more details and to download this issue.

Help Wanted!!!

New Faces, New Perspectives - Executive Committee Openings to start in January 2020

Would you like to be more active in the Commander Club? Would you like to help chart our course? Are you willing to commit the time, energy and creativity needed to assist us in promoting and supporting our mission?

We are searching for new faces and new perspectives. Positions start in January 2020 for a two year term.

There are four positions available. Chief Commander, Treasurer, Public Relations Chair and Membership Chair.

Duties for each position are located in the bylaws https://commanderclub.com/page/bylaws

More details about each position here.

The Executive Committee (EC) convenes monthly via conference call. Meetings typically last 90 minutes or less. Most work done via e-mail. Each job has its own time commitment depending on club activities. Current EC members will mentor you.

Interested in any of these positions?

Please drop Char Pike an e-mail at archivist.commanderclub@gmail.com

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service