I was wondering if anyone knew the height of my 1972 Chris craft commander 41'. I do not have the optional command bridge and I know the top will need to be taken off for transport but companies are asking height of yacht and I cannot find it anywhere. My yacht is in Kentucky and I'm in Illinois therefore taking measurements is impossible for me at this time. Thanks for any help in advance

Views: 168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just out of curiosity do you know the boat personally or were you just speaking of general things we need to check/repair. I appreciate all the great information I was just wondering if you knew the history of my particular yacht. Thanks again you listed very helpful information!!!

I creep on used Commanders all the time.  I believe this is the one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Chris-Craft-COMMANDER-41-/35333554377...

She definitely needs some love, but as Ron mentioned, everything is restorable with sufficient time and money.  The good news, at least for this boat, is that the original 427s have been replaced.  Don't get me wrong, I love my 427s but the 454s are much cheaper to resurrect.  It looks like someone started a restoration and stopped.  With the amount of disconnected hoses and wiring I would likely reconsider floating her.  Have you seen her in person?

Just to provide calibration, I bought mine last May and she was meticulously maintained, but on the hard for 3 years after it cruised 900 miles.  $5000 later we had a marginally successful boating season...

Tim it is US coast guard documented vessel. Would it have been surveyed when it was documented? This is the first time we ever purchased a US coastguard documented vessel so the whole transaction was new to us.
Jon yes we went down there and got to see her this past week. It definitely needs some TLC but we are determined to make her our own and beautiful. We are prepared for the restoration but the more money we save on transporting it the more we can put in the restoration.

I saw the boat listed on E-bay and going by general appearances of the boat in the pictures and then seeing in real life what most of these boats are really like after you see them in person.

The list I made is a list I would expect to do to any 45yr. plus boat that I was planning on buying. Because the boat is on the hard, you have the dilemma of doing everything that should be done vs. the bare minimum. The problem is that without the boat running in the water. We can only do thorough inspections and address everything we can think of so that we don't have a problem underway. Pulling the boat several times gets to be expensive and a waste of precious time.

The list also addresses almost all of the major systems to verify on a 41 Commander so that they are at a safe functional level of operation and reliability.

The good news about my extensive list is that if you go though it and with maybe a few more additional items, you will have a significant level of reliability in an older boat. This will make your boating experience much more enjoyable. I see way to many people that are always having to fix their boats while out on the water. Also keep in mind that most boats sink at the dock.

I don't want to see this for anybody.

The standard path of buying a "yacht" is you make an offer, then have the boat surveyed which is a type of inspection by a certified marine surveyor if the offer is excepted, the buyer pays for the survey cost. This is usually an insurance requirement. Tim's liability number is what it is do to environmental liability in addition to the normal civil liabilities. $500,000 is not that much when you consider how much can go wrong when things really go  wrong.

After the survey the boat is then  taken for a test trip. Then negotiations on the final price are made to settle the deficiency list.

Project boats usually violate this procedure string in that they usually are not directly seaworthy and in essence uninsurable. Just be aware that you are caring all of the risk. Many "yacht" deals fall apart at the survey because of serious deficiencies that usually are expensive to remedy. The seller has the option of fixing the deficiencies or else the deal falls apart.

The boat survey is similar to a home inspection. I do not put a huge amount of value into boat surveys unless you are not extensively knowledgeable about a boats many systems.

With the path that you are on, plan for what the survey will be looking for at the time of the survey. You will likely need a survey when you go to insure the boat at the liability levels needed for protection.

Tim often states to people that the cheapest boat to buy is the one that needs nothing. In many ways, he is correct. At the same time I do understand the enjoyment that a successful project can bring a boat owner. Making it your own does have some intrinsic value though it might not be the most cost effective, especially if you assign a monetary value to your time.

Jennifer Waters said:

Tim it is US coast guard documented vessel. Would it have been surveyed when it was documented? This is the first time we ever purchased a US coastguard documented vessel so the whole transaction was new to us.

Documentation must be maintained to be current and has no inspection requirement.  The primary value had been reduction or avoidance of sales tax and not having the state license number making the bow ugly.

I think you will need to prepare the boat to be mechanically sound and functional while on shore, then proceed with a survey.   Alternatively look for the same boat on the local pool, there are several, most float and run some of which are for sale.   The cheapest boat is the one needing nothing. 

Ron, I didn't intend to be redundant, just read your post after posting this reply.  Had to edit.  ;)

Jennifer Waters said:

Note that the USCG Certificate of Documentation is essentially the title for the boat.  You cannot state title a USCG documented vessel unless you first "delete" the vessel from USCG record.  Also, you cannot register a USCG documented vessel in your state without providing (a copy usually) of the CoD to prove ownership.  Lastly, and most importantly, do not assume ownership of that boat unless you have the previous owners' CoD in hand signed over to you - again no different than buying a car.

Viaggio has been documented for at least 25 years so I just kept it that way.  No need for the ugly state hull numbers.  I can't say you'll dodge sales tax anymore with a documented vessel, however if you are lucky enough to find a neighboring state that does not tax boats and allows out of state residents to register, then you could beat that wrap too....don't ask me how i know :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service