HELP, I have the itis, not 2' but 6'. CCC build quality, 41' and 410 models?

I own a 1968 Commander, photo attached.  My fourth season with this boat is coming to an end this weekend.  This is the 8th boat that I have owned, if I count only the power boats with at least 100 h.p.  The build quality of my Chris Craft (and this active forum with vast knowledge) makes me rather certain that IF I am going to buy different boat, it has to be a Chris Craft.  So I started my research.

I feel my next boat will likely be a 41 CCC or the 410 model.  When looking at the years these were built plus considering how fiberglass technology changed (I owned an '80 Carver just prior to my CCC) over this time period, how does this series of Chris Crafts compare?  Lets say, compare a 1972 model 41 to a 1984 model 410?

I recently installed a new power amp for the stereo in my boat.  I had to crawl around below deck, rerouting wires and looking things over.  I am always amazed and pleased with what I see in this 52 year old boat.  When I worked on my Carver, I didn't get that same feeling.

Now I understand that how a boat was cared for will have a major affect on how it holds up after decades of use but do any of these compare to the build quality of my 1968 Chris Craft? 

Anyone near Fond du Lac Wisconsin care to give me (and my wife) a tour of your 41/410?  We'll bring the beverages.

My email is:  dashrocks@usa.com

Views: 283

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am nowhere near WI, but what I can tell you with absolute certainty is that no Commander in the 38-42' range can beat the 41/410 for entertaining.  My draw to the 41 (I'm a 1972 '41 owner) was the true walkaround deck and very few stairs throughout.  I was slipped next to a 38' Carver sedan bridge and I watched guests go up the stairs from the platform to the top of the transom, down the stairs from the transom to the cockpit, up the stairs to the helm, up more stairs to the side deck, back down the stairs to the helm, back down the stairs to the cockpit, then, yep you guessed it, down the stairs to the salon.  I was exhausted just watching him.

The 14' beam really makes the 41/410 feel like a much bigger boat. As far as ride goes, I hear the '42 is a much better ride in the chop, but speaking from a guy who just did 100 miles through Long Island sound hitting 4 footers for about 20 miles, the 41 handles just fine!

All these Commanders are great boats in their own way, and Chris had a way of making each model purposeful for its intended use.  Add the great brain trust of the members here and you get a great boat and the best technical service available!

The 41 Commander definitely has the best layout. The 14’ beam makes it exceptionally roomie. Not just my opinion, that’s what everyone says when they board my boat. The 14’ beam provides space in the engine room to work on most everything, especially on the outboard sides of both engines. Owned mine for 14 seasons and still loving it!

John and Joe thank you for the reply.  I have not boarded a 41 yet but hope to do so soon. I can see where a little more room around the engines would also be nice to have.

John Mario said:

I am nowhere near WI, but what I can tell you with absolute certainty is that no Commander in the 38-42' range can beat the 41/410 for entertaining.  My draw to the 41 (I'm a 1972 '41 owner) was the true walkaround deck and very few stairs throughout.  I was slipped next to a 38' Carver sedan bridge and I watched guests go up the stairs from the platform to the top of the transom, down the stairs from the transom to the cockpit, up the stairs to the helm, up more stairs to the side deck, back down the stairs to the helm, back down the stairs to the cockpit, then, yep you guessed it, down the stairs to the salon.  I was exhausted just watching him.

The 14' beam really makes the 41/410 feel like a much bigger boat. As far as ride goes, I hear the '42 is a much better ride in the chop, but speaking from a guy who just did 100 miles through Long Island sound hitting 4 footers for about 20 miles, the 41 handles just fine!

All these Commanders are great boats in their own way, and Chris had a way of making each model purposeful for its intended use.  Add the great brain trust of the members here and you get a great boat and the best technical service available!

Nice but seems a little overpriced for a boat with original motors.

Thanks Joe, I did see this one listed recently and may schedule a time to walk thru it.

Joe Marino said:

Captain  Steve

For pricing / value info consider using what all yacht brokers use , www.bucnet.com  .  Your local county library can also get that publication  . The typical  Nada book is very misleading .

Tim

------

Tim Toth X2 - Nada is rubbish for anything older than 20 years.  You need to value these old girls like antique cars.  For example a 1967 Ford Mustang fastback is worth anywhere from $4K to $150K depending on condition - that's a pretty big range.  That $4K Mustang is going to cost you $175K to make it anywhere near the $150K Mustang.  The formula is simple: buy the best one you can afford and don't hesitate to wait for another to come along.  To put things in perspective, I paid $30K for my 41 with 1500 hour mighty 427s in very good condition this past spring.

The previous owner of my 35 Sport Cruiser spent way more than what I paid for it just in the improvements. 

John Mario said:

Tim Toth X2 - Nada is rubbish for anything older than 20 years.  You need to value these old girls like antique cars.  For example a 1967 Ford Mustang fastback is worth anywhere from $4K to $150K depending on condition - that's a pretty big range.  That $4K Mustang is going to cost you $175K to make it anywhere near the $150K Mustang.  The formula is simple: buy the best one you can afford and don't hesitate to wait for another to come along.  To put things in perspective, I paid $30K for my 41 with 1500 hour mighty 427s in very good condition this past spring.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2021 Chris-Craft Commander               Club Wall Calendars            *Now Available For Order * 

The 2021 Chris-Craft Commander Wall Calendars are now available for order through November 10th. After November 10th, calendars will not longer be available, so don't miss out. Place your order today!!!!

The photos that will be included in the calendar can be viewed HERE.

Proceeds go towards operating our otherwise dues free club.

Order Your Calendar Here

Styled In Fiberglass Newsletter - Spring 2020 Issue

Click Here to access this issues, along with past issues, of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's Newsletter

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service