Hi ,

I have a stinky problem. I'm having issues getting my holding tank pumped out. I found my vent was clogged and replaced or cleaned all the parts and it vents like new. I checked the suction hose which is three years old and it is not clogged. I can't get the 90 off the tank, but it appears the tube is still attached. I don't know what could be the problem. Has anyone had trouble pumping out and found sludge at the bottom to be the cause. If so what was the solution?

Thanks

Billy K.

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If sludge is indeed the problem, adding some liquid with possibly something to break up and dissolve the sludge ought to work. Use care with chemicals, make sure they're compatible with the tank material.

Dick Morland's solution for all things relating to the holding tank was Rid-X.  The enzymes will liquefy solids but won't work if any of the older formaldehyde treatments are present, if this is the case a double rinse will probably suffice.  Given your situation adding more enzyme then filling 3/4 full with water then give it a week to digest.  It would be good to do a shake up cruise but that is difficult with a 45.

Thanks guys,

I went to my go to plumbing supply and they spent a few minutes talking about Bio-Clean. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks, Billy K.

Ours was seldom used when we bought it and for some reason someone put a backflow valve in the pump out line so it could not be rinsed. Why I don't know.  It could not be pumped out and of course no with clean water.  I took the valve out, which was clean, and it was still plugged.  I pulled the fitting at the tank and discovered it was crusted completely over and punched it out with a screwdriver.  All is well now.  Just a thought in case you run into a "road block".  :)

Thanks Mike, the pump out is coming tomorrow. Everything is cleared and I've been treating the tank for a few days. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks, Billy K.

Mike Watson said:

Ours was seldom used when we bought it and for some reason someone put a backflow valve in the pump out line so it could not be rinsed. Why I don't know.  It could not be pumped out and of course no with clean water.  I took the valve out, which was clean, and it was still plugged.  I pulled the fitting at the tank and discovered it was crusted completely over and punched it out with a screwdriver.  All is well now.  Just a thought in case you run into a "road block".  :)

Hi Bill

I purchased specialized Eectrosan Raritan system. Do not know how to correct your problem, Dawn soap could eat through a grease clog.  One note Chris Craft engineers drew up specs upon engineered specs. I had to replace my galley sink hose, because it was at spec but, was not fully seated fully and clogged from years of dish washing, greasy things?. Slope was so slightly uphill but finally clogged. Vessels can sit in the water differently than designed with the slightest modifications, ie, batteries, toys, anchors, etc.

Cliff

Also as a Marina owner, bee's, mud wasp's will build nests inside all vent tubes including fresh water and gas.

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I replaced all the hoses a couple of years ago, but I didn't check the vent elbows. Both ends were clogged. It was a dirty job, but both are clear and functioning. I had the truck come back and it was still full after they were gone. I have them coming back this morning. I put a product, Bio-Clean in the tank and everything is ready to go. I'll report back later. Thanks for the ideas.

Billy K.

Cliff Lane said:

Also as a Marina owner, bee's, mud wasp's will build nests inside all vent tubes including fresh water and gas.

Cliff

Just some information on what happened on my 1979 45' Purchased 3 years ago 

Maceration heads and 40 gal tank.

First weekend on the boat  had the holding tank pumped because I don't know when it was done last.

Next day level was up to the bottom of the bowls after a few uses. Called back the pump out boat and only a few gallons came out. Well after removing the hoses to the tank from each head, the pump out hose  and the vent I spun off the fittings and the pick up tube had come off and fallen into the FULL tank. (like right to the top)

Could not fish it out (Gagging) and had to find a PVC pipe that slid down into the ID of the tank fitting to the bottom of the tank. (had to pull it back out because the estimated length was to long) (more gagging)  Fit air tight and the hose fitting screwed on held it in place from moving back up or down.

Got all the fittings back on and sealed, replaced the hoses, called the pump out boat and all 40 gallons of the past occupants was removed.  So the problem was the pick up tube falling into the tank, how? I have no idea.  But I know it's still in there and that's where it will stay. Been working fine ever since. 

Was a very sheetay situation I would not wish on anyone.

Good luck!

Pump out was successful. I'll never be sure what was the secondary problem, but the vent was clogged for sure. No question the Bio-Clean helped the sludgy bottom and I will continue to use it. 

Thanks for all posts, especially the stories. There is always time to read a poop story.

Thanks again,

Billy K.

I had a clogged discharge tube, I drilled a 5/16" hole in the top of the bronze elbow on top of the holding tank, bent an 18" piece of electrician's fish snake with an "S" shape, fed it down thru the elbow into the tank and then spun it with a battery drill. tapped the hole and plugged it with a bronze plug. I tried the RID but the tank was still clogged so I took more drastic measures. I also use the access hole to dip the tank at the end of the season with a wooden dowel to make sure the tank is completely empty.

Use the Bio-clean. It works and, hahaha, it's a lot less fun. If you know what I mean.

Billy K.

Kevin McKinnon said:

I had a clogged discharge tube, I drilled a 5/16" hole in the top of the bronze elbow on top of the holding tank, bent an 18" piece of electrician's fish snake with an "S" shape, fed it down thru the elbow into the tank and then spun it with a battery drill. tapped the hole and plugged it with a bronze plug. I tried the RID but the tank was still clogged so I took more drastic measures. I also use the access hole to dip the tank at the end of the season with a wooden dowel to make sure the tank is completely empty.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service