still working on my motors was wondering if I can use auto hose to make my cooling hoses for a closed cool motor or dose someone still make them. I think the alto hose is just two ply   Thanks guys Tom

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe you already have it , but the super disc/ resource collection answers a ton of questions. I recently bought it and it is as advertised , a wealth of knowledge! It has a ton of info. on the mighty 427s. lol 

One better...you don’t even need the SuperDisc for this one. It’s in the library:

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2057946027?prof...

Pretty cool. Dick Morland had a similar story on the Superdisc.  I welcome Tom's questions because he has the same model boat with the same engines. I am fortunate because my engines had more love from the previous owner.

Matt Cowles said:

One better...you don’t even need the SuperDisc for this one. It’s in the library:

https://api.ning.com/files/nc3n0lKyYXSnkcvoBaeJflXwRLv-eb4JRw96IGZg...

___

_
_
_

Tom,

Generally speaking, using automobile parts on a boat is not best practice.

Measure what diameter you need, or better yet cut out a small piece from your system, go to West Marine and buy a 10' length of marine cooling system hose, and cut to fit. You'll probably have enough for two motors.

Jim, I’d normally 100% agree with you, but with the turns tubes make in a closed cooled 427, that write-up is about the only way to do it. Besides, I think the “no auto” rule applies more to electrical and fuel delivery items due to spark protection and drainage/overflow, no?

Certainly for electrical and fuel that would be true. Although truth be told, there is some non-marine wiring in my boat but not for anything critical.

I hadn't seen that writeup when I posted my note. For that application, it makes sense. An alternative might be straight hose with bronze elbows, but that might also impede flow and present more corrosion issues.

Are boat motors use 3 ply hose car hose is 2 ply. The west marine hose woul be good for the straight runs but the 90 turns would not. The hose on my 427s was original. They had blue paint on them

Hey Gang, Straight from SuperDisc, posted by me 19 years ago. BTW, this engine was a raw water cooled engine, and the hose ply construction was still doing fine when I sold the boat 10 years later, and have not heard of any hose problems from the new owner in the 9 years he has owned it, ===================

Just finished a valve job on Patty Wagon's port engine last weekend. As

part of this project, I replaced all the hoses on the top side of the

engine. As you know, we can't run down to our local Chris dealer to get

these, but have to cut the sections we need from prefabricated, preformed

automotive hoses. Chris essentially uses 1" & 1 1/4" diameter hoses on the

1. I have a good friend at our local NAPA (although he threatened to

retire when he saw me walking in with both arms full of old moldy Chris

hoses). After a little research in his catalogs and some sampling, we came

up with the following NAPA part #'s:

(2 ft.) #602   1" radiator hose

(3 ft.) #602   1" radiator hose

(3 ft.) # 605  1 1/4" radiator hose

(1)  #8299  preformed radiator hose

(3)  #8108  preformed radiator hose

This mess will run close to $100, but compared to "Earl the Pearl" it's a

bargain. If you are wondering about the 2 chunks of #602 straight hose, you

can get the 2 pressure valve hoses above the transmissions out of the 3

foot chunk, & you need the 2 foot chunk for the other straight pieces of 1"

hose needed. The #8299 will give you the two 90 degree pieces of 1 1/4"

hose needed. The # 8108's will yield the three 90 degree 1" pieces needed.

There was a hose they had listed that you could have gotten 2 of the 1"

90's out of, but they did not have it in stock, nor did their warehouse

have it, so I suspect it's a pretty obsolete hose. For cutting these hoses

to the exact length / configuration you need, I found a VERY sharp pocket

knife with the blade dipped in dish soap worked quite well. Have fun & get

rid of those ugly 30 year old hoses !!

Regards,

Dick Morland

PS --Methinks NAPA might be a tad cheaper than West Marine :-)

Thanks!

Dick Morland said:

Hey Gang, Straight from SuperDisc, posted by me 19 years ago. BTW, this engine was a raw water cooled engine, and the hose ply construction was still doing fine when I sold the boat 10 years later, and have not heard of any hose problems from the new owner in the 9 years he has owned it, ===================

Just finished a valve job on Patty Wagon's port engine last weekend. As

part of this project, I replaced all the hoses on the top side of the

engine. As you know, we can't run down to our local Chris dealer to get

these, but have to cut the sections we need from prefabricated, preformed

automotive hoses. Chris essentially uses 1" & 1 1/4" diameter hoses on the

1. I have a good friend at our local NAPA (although he threatened to

retire when he saw me walking in with both arms full of old moldy Chris

hoses). After a little research in his catalogs and some sampling, we came

up with the following NAPA part #'s:

(2 ft.) #602   1" radiator hose

(3 ft.) #602   1" radiator hose

(3 ft.) # 605  1 1/4" radiator hose

(1)  #8299  preformed radiator hose

(3)  #8108  preformed radiator hose

This mess will run close to $100, but compared to "Earl the Pearl" it's a

bargain. If you are wondering about the 2 chunks of #602 straight hose, you

can get the 2 pressure valve hoses above the transmissions out of the 3

foot chunk, & you need the 2 foot chunk for the other straight pieces of 1"

hose needed. The #8299 will give you the two 90 degree pieces of 1 1/4"

hose needed. The # 8108's will yield the three 90 degree 1" pieces needed.

There was a hose they had listed that you could have gotten 2 of the 1"

90's out of, but they did not have it in stock, nor did their warehouse

have it, so I suspect it's a pretty obsolete hose. For cutting these hoses

to the exact length / configuration you need, I found a VERY sharp pocket

knife with the blade dipped in dish soap worked quite well. Have fun & get

rid of those ugly 30 year old hoses !!

Regards,

Dick Morland

PS --Methinks NAPA might be a tad cheaper than West Marine :-)

Tom, I have used auto radiator hoses for my closed loop cooling for the past 25 years with no ill effects. The only place I would use caution is anything that is a suction hose as auto hoses do not normally come with the heavy multi ply or wire reinforcement that these hoses require. In those instances I would opt for marine grade hoses designed for that purpose. Just be careful to route your hoses so that you don't create bends that restrict flow.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Spring 2019 Styled In Fiberglass is now available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club publishes it's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, twice a year and the 2019 Spring issue is now available for download.  Click here for more details and to download this issue.

Help Wanted!!!

New Faces, New Perspectives - Executive Committee Openings to start in January 2020

Would you like to be more active in the Commander Club? Would you like to help chart our course? Are you willing to commit the time, energy and creativity needed to assist us in promoting and supporting our mission?

We are searching for new faces and new perspectives. Positions start in January 2020 for a two year term.

There are four positions available. Chief Commander, Treasurer, Public Relations Chair and Membership Chair.

Duties for each position are located in the bylaws https://commanderclub.com/page/bylaws

More details about each position here.

The Executive Committee (EC) convenes monthly via conference call. Meetings typically last 90 minutes or less. Most work done via e-mail. Each job has its own time commitment depending on club activities. Current EC members will mentor you.

Interested in any of these positions?

Please drop Char Pike an e-mail at archivist.commanderclub@gmail.com

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service