Ok commander club guys having a hard time getting the long bolts out of the top of the Exhaust manifold I can feel the bolt twisting but it’s not braking lose. I wirewheeled the threads and have been putting penetration oil on but still think it’s going to snap. Hate to put heat on it in the engine bay. It’s a 427  

As always thanks guys thanks 

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

keep soaking and start tapping with a center punch and hammer.  Be patient!

Acetone and tranny fluid about 50/50. It is the best penetrating fluid. Besides tapping the bolt as Byron said. Tapping the wrench alo helps. Mini impacts to break it free.

Heat Valve Lubricant is a GM product.  You can buy it at Chevrolet.  I use to use this in the 70s on exhaust

bolts/nuts. It works great.

Pat

I'm assuming you are trying to take the exhaust manifold off. From the factory, these manifolds had 4 hex head bolts, 3/8-16 X 5 1/2" and 4 stainless steel studs about the same length. The last engine I did had the SS studs on the top and the bolts on the bottom, and I'm pretty sure that engine had never been taken apart. If you can't get the studs out, you can't slide the manifold off of them and you will have to do what I did ---

If you look closely, you will see the studs on top. I could not break these loose by double nutting them and wrenching really hard on them.  If my memory serves me right after a whole bunch of years, I was able to break the 4 lower bolts loose, but without getting the studs out I was screwed. The picture shows what me and 2 husky buddies did --- Yes, it's really heavy but it worked and I was able to slide the manifold off the studs and then penetrating oil and a small pipe wrench convinced the studs to break loose. You seemed to indicate bolts on the top row. Do you then have studs on the bottom row? If you are just trying to get the manifolds off for some riser issues, I think I would continue trying an in-boat removal. I, however, was doing a valve job on this boat so taking the head and manifold off as a unit was no big hassle except for talking my buddies into supplying muscle and Patty into supplying the cold beer enticement !

Remember, if you do have 4 studs in this engine you have to be able to get them out or your only remedy is removal of the head and manifold as a unit. Good luck !

Hey Dick  I have the studs on the bottom they came right off  on top I have the long bolts. I have not tried to put to much on them. I can feel the bolt twisting I have the big Milwaukee inpact that will take anything off or brake it. What I don’t want to do is brake it right at the head. I think I’m going to cut off the head of the bolt pull the ex manifold off then put some heat on it and a stud remover should do the job.  That’s what I’m doing is a valve job and new valve seals           Thanks for the help Dick 

Thomas - If you cut the head off of the frozen bolt you still have around 5" of headless bolt still in the head. I don't think the manifold will slide off before hitting the stringer. Save me a bunch of keyboard pounding and give me a buzz at 847-341-1149 and I'll give you a couple of ideas.

Dick is correct. It will not come off. I did like Dick did and pulled the head and manifold all in one. 

Hi guys I took it all off as one then removed the riser and then took the head and manifold off the  boat it was not that heavy but was not fun going down the ladder now I will put some heat on it  I tried everything to get them off you could feel the bolts twisting I’m going to bet a lot of bolts have been broken off in these motors thanks guys only three more to go

Sterling Shriber said:

Dick is correct. It will not come off. I did like Dick did and pulled the head and manifold all in one. 

Thomas --

You still might want to try sawing the head off the frozen bolt even  though you know have the head & manifold off as a unit. Now you can slide the manifold off the head and get acetone/ power steering penetrating fluid right where you want it and let it set for a couple more days with frequent tapping with a hammer to break things loose. Then I would take a medium size pipe wrench to try & break it loose. Put an extension pipe on the wrench handle, apply a steady & slowly increasing pressure on the handle while tapping with a hammer a portion of the pipe wrench handle.  Worst case scenario is the bolt breaks off flush and you have to drill & tap to repair. At least you can have the head in a comfortable position for this operation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Spring 2019 Styled In Fiberglass is now available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club publishes it's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, twice a year and the 2019 Spring issue is now available for download.  Click here for more details and to download this issue.

Help Wanted!!!

New Faces, New Perspectives - Executive Committee Openings to start in January 2020

Would you like to be more active in the Commander Club? Would you like to help chart our course? Are you willing to commit the time, energy and creativity needed to assist us in promoting and supporting our mission?

We are searching for new faces and new perspectives. Positions start in January 2020 for a two year term.

There are four positions available. Chief Commander, Treasurer, Public Relations Chair and Membership Chair.

Duties for each position are located in the bylaws https://commanderclub.com/page/bylaws

More details about each position here.

The Executive Committee (EC) convenes monthly via conference call. Meetings typically last 90 minutes or less. Most work done via e-mail. Each job has its own time commitment depending on club activities. Current EC members will mentor you.

Interested in any of these positions?

Please drop Char Pike an e-mail at archivist.commanderclub@gmail.com

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service