Ok commander club guys having a hard time getting the long bolts out of the top of the Exhaust manifold I can feel the bolt twisting but it’s not braking lose. I wirewheeled the threads and have been putting penetration oil on but still think it’s going to snap. Hate to put heat on it in the engine bay. It’s a 427  

As always thanks guys thanks 

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

keep soaking and start tapping with a center punch and hammer.  Be patient!

Acetone and tranny fluid about 50/50. It is the best penetrating fluid. Besides tapping the bolt as Byron said. Tapping the wrench alo helps. Mini impacts to break it free.

Heat Valve Lubricant is a GM product.  You can buy it at Chevrolet.  I use to use this in the 70s on exhaust

bolts/nuts. It works great.

Pat

I'm assuming you are trying to take the exhaust manifold off. From the factory, these manifolds had 4 hex head bolts, 3/8-16 X 5 1/2" and 4 stainless steel studs about the same length. The last engine I did had the SS studs on the top and the bolts on the bottom, and I'm pretty sure that engine had never been taken apart. If you can't get the studs out, you can't slide the manifold off of them and you will have to do what I did ---

If you look closely, you will see the studs on top. I could not break these loose by double nutting them and wrenching really hard on them.  If my memory serves me right after a whole bunch of years, I was able to break the 4 lower bolts loose, but without getting the studs out I was screwed. The picture shows what me and 2 husky buddies did --- Yes, it's really heavy but it worked and I was able to slide the manifold off the studs and then penetrating oil and a small pipe wrench convinced the studs to break loose. You seemed to indicate bolts on the top row. Do you then have studs on the bottom row? If you are just trying to get the manifolds off for some riser issues, I think I would continue trying an in-boat removal. I, however, was doing a valve job on this boat so taking the head and manifold off as a unit was no big hassle except for talking my buddies into supplying muscle and Patty into supplying the cold beer enticement !

Remember, if you do have 4 studs in this engine you have to be able to get them out or your only remedy is removal of the head and manifold as a unit. Good luck !

Hey Dick  I have the studs on the bottom they came right off  on top I have the long bolts. I have not tried to put to much on them. I can feel the bolt twisting I have the big Milwaukee inpact that will take anything off or brake it. What I don’t want to do is brake it right at the head. I think I’m going to cut off the head of the bolt pull the ex manifold off then put some heat on it and a stud remover should do the job.  That’s what I’m doing is a valve job and new valve seals           Thanks for the help Dick 

Thomas - If you cut the head off of the frozen bolt you still have around 5" of headless bolt still in the head. I don't think the manifold will slide off before hitting the stringer. Save me a bunch of keyboard pounding and give me a buzz at 847-341-1149 and I'll give you a couple of ideas.

Dick is correct. It will not come off. I did like Dick did and pulled the head and manifold all in one. 

Hi guys I took it all off as one then removed the riser and then took the head and manifold off the  boat it was not that heavy but was not fun going down the ladder now I will put some heat on it  I tried everything to get them off you could feel the bolts twisting I’m going to bet a lot of bolts have been broken off in these motors thanks guys only three more to go

Sterling Shriber said:

Dick is correct. It will not come off. I did like Dick did and pulled the head and manifold all in one. 

Thomas --

You still might want to try sawing the head off the frozen bolt even  though you know have the head & manifold off as a unit. Now you can slide the manifold off the head and get acetone/ power steering penetrating fluid right where you want it and let it set for a couple more days with frequent tapping with a hammer to break things loose. Then I would take a medium size pipe wrench to try & break it loose. Put an extension pipe on the wrench handle, apply a steady & slowly increasing pressure on the handle while tapping with a hammer a portion of the pipe wrench handle.  Worst case scenario is the bolt breaks off flush and you have to drill & tap to repair. At least you can have the head in a comfortable position for this operation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Wall Calendars Now Available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club 2019 Wall Calendar is now available!!.  We're having to do things a little differently this year, so for calendar details & ordering, Click Here

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service