Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can source a donor engine?

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see them pop up periodically on facebook marketplace. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Marine Sales in Harrison two MI has one, or Peter Henkel, or Vanness Engineering, but those will be $$$$

I don't know the dimensions of a Q engine but a possible option would be to use a 4.3 Vortec,  it is 21.5" tall would make the same or better Hp.  Since it would sit further aft you might be able to modify the mount rails by cutting down the wood and installing heavy aluminum C channel for mounting.

fwiw Tim

I think the 383 is the same block as his 327, and 22" tall.  Made to replace his engine easily, if it isn't too tall.  I'm lusting for a pair, but dunno if they would fit where my 350Q are.

Timothy "Tim" Miller said:

I don't know the dimensions of a Q engine but a possible option would be to use a 4.3 Vortec,  it is 21.5" tall would make the same or better Hp.  Since it would sit further aft you might be able to modify the mount rails by cutting down the wood and installing heavy aluminum C channel for mounting.

fwiw Tim

The  283, 327,350 and 383 are  all the  same  block  with  different  bores and strokes.  My  thought with  the  4.3, a 350 minus 2 cylinders and  a different  fuel  system , might provide  clearance.

The shorter engine will be less tall when sitting at an angle, and the same hp would be safe for the transmission, shaft, prop.  The 383 would probably need a stronger transmission, and a down-angle transmission would allow the engine to sit level and not need as much height.  But then the engine bed would have to be modified to set the engine flat.  All thoughts I'm having about replacing my engines.

Also, the 383 weighs almost 1000-pounds in ads, seems like a lot more than a 327 or 350, but I'm not sure.  Hard to know if I'm getting fully dressed marine engine weights.  I don't know why the 383 would weigh more with same block, aluminum heads and intake.

The  283, 327,350 and 383 are  all the  same  block  with  different  bores and strokes.  My  thought with  the  4.3, a 350 minus 2 cylinders and  a different  fuel  system , might provide  clearance.

We just pulled the qa from ken luke's 1970 XK-19.  This week.

As the motor had a couple dead cylinders and the PO had swapped the orig 327 block for a 400 which is a strange choice  for a boat motor.

We will be using a new  350 and bolting on all of the 327 stuff back on.

The 383 would be a nice power option as well  but would involve total refitting of the new set up as it would sit in the bilge 180° compared to the QA. Yes you can use an inline velvet drive v drive with that set up or you could choose to use a down angle ZF v drive . 

Either way I'd estimate the engine and trany at about 1000 lbs.

1,000lbs is fairly accurate for a Chris Craft 327 and transmission, according to Chris Craft my 327F and transmission is 904lbs, Vdrive would be more. 

Scott Miller said:

The shorter engine will be less tall when sitting at an angle, and the same hp would be safe for the transmission, shaft, prop.  The 383 would probably need a stronger transmission, and a down-angle transmission would allow the engine to sit level and not need as much height.  But then the engine bed would have to be modified to set the engine flat.  All thoughts I'm having about replacing my engines.

Also, the 383 weighs almost 1000-pounds in ads, seems like a lot more than a 327 or 350, but I'm not sure.  Hard to know if I'm getting fully dressed marine engine weights.  I don't know why the 383 would weigh more with same block, aluminum heads and intake.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 CCCC Wall Calendars Available Now!!

The Limited Edition 2020 Chris-Craft Commander Club wall calendars are now available for order.  Photos for the calendar are selected from our photo contest entries and photos uploaded to the CCCC gallery.  Proceeds from the sale of these calendars go towards operating our otherwise dues free club

Click HERE to get more details and order your calendar.

Click HERE to see the photos selected for this year's calendar.

Nominations for Executive Committee 2019 

More information click here

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service