Hi There All,

I've finally found my dream boat after 4 years of looking from New Zealand over the internet. Ive just purchased an unmolested/barnfind 1970 XK19 from NY State.......soon to be on its way to New Zealand for a full engine out, hardware off and hull apart restoration.

Im hoping for some help from some of the more seasoned forum members who know and understand a little more of the history and fit out from this year.

In particular the side grab rail and morse control on the boat appear to be original as there us no other holes or repair holes around them, however I'm just wondering if this is the case. I do prefer the three foot side grab rail that most of the SS/XK's came out with, but if these are original I may keep her like that!

Im looking at spraying a wet finish Dupont paint system in the Factory Blue Bell Blue....can anyone confirm tell me how I would get a colour match to this original factory colour?

Also before I ship it from the States to NZ, I want to load some new SS Stainless Steel Rubbing Strip/Strake in the longest length I can find. Any recommendation on what product I should be looking at?

Regards Brad

Views: 708

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations!  I have a 1969 Commander Super Sport (1970 changed to the XK-19).  I believe the Morse shifter and the rails are original on yours.  I have the Morse but not the rails.  However two friends with the XK 19 have them.  Guessing yours is a 1971?  You can search for information on this web site: http://www.xk19.com/

Peter van der Hoven really knows a lot and can help you maybe find parts you need.  Best of luck!  They are beautiful boats to be sure!

I can help.  Just finished a full restoration.  It's no small task.

Hi Mike,

Did you restore a 1969 or a 1970?  May be getting mine ready for a show next year and need to tweak a few items.  Might need some assistance too!  cheers!

Mike Watson said:

I can help.  Just finished a full restoration.  It's no small task.

It’s molested. I have a 69 SS V drive restored to original as possible. ‘70 was a transition year to the XK so things were changing. Depending on your goals your direction can change.

Mike should be your new best friend!!!!

Mike I'd love to see photos of your resto.

Heres my cousin's 1970 XK 19 inboard

here's my 1969 Commander SS V-drive on the water.  Lake getting calmer after the Labor Day crowd has departed!

Gorgeous!

My name is Ken Lukes, Jeremy's cousin, owner of the XK19.

I think I'm seeing double.

Found mine last year in Cummings, GA. ( it's entire life has been on Lake Lanier).  I bought it from the nephew who's uncle purchased it new and gave it to the nephew so he could restore it. It sat from 1988 until 2006. The nephew pulled the 327Q (The uncle wiped out the cam. He just liked to slow cruise with it and starved it of oil flow). It was replaced it with a 400 SBC in 2006.  Original hours on the boat were 496, with 50 hrs. on the 400 when I purchased it, 116 so far. It runs pretty strong but won't idle smooth. Carburation and electrical are fine. It failed a Leak Down test on several cylinders and I'm getting a popping out of the right bank when increasing RPM.  #8 plug has a slight amount of oil on it. I'm preparing to pull the entire drive train and refresh it. The Paragon shifts OK but the fluid is burnt. I have the original 327Q, it has been rebuilt but has sat since 2006 with no proper protection from moisture. Will tear it down also. I saw Mike Watson's post before yours and have asked him about the proper sequence of the drive train removal.  I do have the dripless coupler and it sure looks like a challenge to service it.  This is my first time working on a boat drive train.  I'm an old Gear Head street racer and have worked on numerous car drivetrains. I talked to Chris Craft but they have no manuals...etc. that would help with the teardown. Did you have to pull your engine....etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to approach this.

Thanks, Ken

Bruce Carswell Jr said:

here's my 1969 Commander SS V-drive on the water.  Lake getting calmer after the Labor Day crowd has departed!

Seems we have the best color! I have not pulled the engine on mine but know they were able to get the transmission out without pulling the motor (replaced coupler). About to do some restoration work though and can check with my guys! Great looking boat! Bruce
Assume yours is also a v-drive???

If you have to do motor and tranny work you may as well pull the whole thing.  Even if possible I can't see  how you could get the trans out without pulling everything apart.  While out have the V drive inspected.  The P31 can be repaired relatively easy but the V drive is another story.  If originality is not your primary goal you may want to stick with the larger motor. Keep the original to stay with the boat.  

Mike

Hi Guys, just got a 73 xk19 !

Lots to be done , engine is out ,needs new interior, real question is paint vs gel coat ?

Any help would be appreciated 

By the way , I also have a 73 xk18 with the 454, original with less than 100 hours

Thanks Glenn

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 National Rendezvous Postponed

More information Click Here

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service