The Generator went back in August.  Finally took it apart to see a hole in one cylinder and 2 broken valves and a banged up head.  So time for a new one - This one could probably be rebuilt, but it's original from 1972 and parts are very expensive.  SO, anyone have an old Onan they don't want I can get parts from or a good 10k+ generator they have lying around?  Old one is an Onan MJDC 12kw.  Probably don't need 12k, but going back in with the same is good I guess.

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are a Mase dealer in Florida so we can offer you a very good price on a new genny and have it delivered free to you in Pensacola 

sounds interesting.  Can you give me a quote?  New with warranty certainly would be a luxury. :)

chris said:

We are a Mase dealer in Florida so we can offer you a very good price on a new genny and have it delivered free to you in Pensacola 

If you watch Ebay, parts frequently are listed. The MDJ series have most parts common between the versions. Crank,camshaft, and block are the chief variances.

Your generator is old and going to have increasing difficulty in procuring parts. At some point they will all be retired and scrapped so at some point we will all need to consider alternatives. Depending on if you are a DIY or hire your mechanical work will probably be your deciding factor in repair or replace.

With the technology that is available today the use of a separate generator is not the only solution.

Installing high capacity alternators on your engines plus a properly sized high quality inverter with a properly sized LiFEPo battery bank can either eliminate or at least enable you to use a much smaller generator than what was required in the past. This can actually give you an increase in total peak capacity and yet lower operating costs.

If memory is not failing the MJD is a diesel? Just wanted to clarify that for your post. Lee

Yes, Diesel

Lee H Dahlen said:

If memory is not failing the MJD is a diesel? Just wanted to clarify that for your post. Lee

I had this same issue with my MJDC, it would break and the wait for parts was lengthy because Cummins does not support the older sets after they bought out onan. I replaced it with a phasor that works great.

Never heard of Phasor. Was it less expensive than others? Think if I could find an old engine for cheap I could rebuild - elec part of it works great. Do you know what engine model they are?
It’s what my mechanic recommended. I hadn’t heard of them before either. They’re a newer company but they have a loyal following on the hatteras owners club, I researched them before pulling the trigger. They have a different design philosophy, there are no proprietary circuit boards or anything custom, they use kubota diesel engines which are extremely reliable, and the electrical components are off-the-shelf from major manufacturers. The result is you can always get parts anywhere. I’ve put a few hundred hours on it and it works right all the time, the old one was a crap shoot. I’m super happy with it. I paid $13k installed for a 12kw set. I don’t really know if that’s good or bad, my mind was pretty much made up once I read up on the product.

Thanks, Chris.  $13k installed sounds fair to me, I just don't want to spend $13k right now.  I'd love to get by for 2-3k, but that's looking less and less likely.

Chris Wickersham said:

It’s what my mechanic recommended. I hadn’t heard of them before either. They’re a newer company but they have a loyal following on the hatteras owners club, I researched them before pulling the trigger. They have a different design philosophy, there are no proprietary circuit boards or anything custom, they use kubota diesel engines which are extremely reliable, and the electrical components are off-the-shelf from major manufacturers. The result is you can always get parts anywhere. I’ve put a few hundred hours on it and it works right all the time, the old one was a crap shoot. I’m super happy with it. I paid $13k installed for a 12kw set. I don’t really know if that’s good or bad, my mind was pretty much made up once I read up on the product.

Boats and Harbors has them listed  at $12,420 for  a 12.5kw.  I have a 8.5 in my 42 that I picked used from and ac upgrade that needed more kw's. No issues. Southeastern Power Products Pompano Beach Fl.

Pompano Nautical Flea market this weekend

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Fall Edition of Styled In Fiberglass Available here!

The Fall 2019 Edition of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, is now available for your reading pleasure.  Click here to download this and past issues.

2020 CCCC Wall Calendars - SOLD OUT!!

To view the photos featured in this year's calendar, click here.

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service