Folks,

I have decided to replace the original 100 gallon galvanized barrels in my 38 and I have a question I was hoping someone could help with.  So far we have decided to go with a vendor in NJ who is going to fabricate some aluminum tanks.  I'll have a few buddies that will help that are very handy.  I think we understand how to install the tanks to avoid corrosion and the process seems fairly straightforward.

I would like to spend as much time as needed to fully drain these tanks and wash them as much as possible to eliminate the risk due to the fumes.  Any advice here?  I have heard to use liquid dish washing soap and  I've seen where a guy ran a pipe from his car exhaust though the empty tank to fill the tank with inert gas before he removed the tanks.  

Has anyone removed these tanks and have any advice to mitigate the fume risk?

Thanks!

Chris Mitchell

Nashville

Views: 556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Curious, what was the reason to epoxy coat the plastic tanks? 

Lee H Dahlen said:

I had Moeller duplicate the original tanks for the Skimmer Project. They did an awesome job and We had them epoxy coated as well. I'm attaching the drawing below. Skimmer is a 73-36 Sport fish. These are probably not your tanks. Just praising Moeller.  Cost for TWO 161 gal tanks with epoxy coat: $1650.00

ATF000417P%202-1-16.PDF

Chris Mitchell said:

I appreciate all of the feedback and comments.  Moeller Fuel tanks are made here in Tennessee and are sold by most of the major marine distributors nationwide.   They have thousands of fuel tanks on the market and the SAY they have no failures.  :). They have passed the 33CFR 183.510a test which include a slosh test.

I liked the idea of plastic tanks since there aren't any seams and there isn't any change of corrosion.  I know we have at least one other 38 Sedan with the tanks already in them.

Having said that, you can bet I'll make sure the sea trials will be thorough!

Cheers to all of you!

Pick-up for both engine and genny are indicated to be same length.  Genny can run tank empty for the engine.  Intentional or oversight?

Lee H Dahlen said:

I had Moeller duplicate the original tanks for the Skimmer Project. They did an awesome job and We had them epoxy coated as well. I'm attaching the drawing below. Skimmer is a 73-36 Sport fish. These are probably not your tanks. Just praising Moeller.  Cost for TWO 161 gal tanks with epoxy coat: $1650.00

ATF000417P%202-1-16.PDF

Chris Mitchell said:

I appreciate all of the feedback and comments.  Moeller Fuel tanks are made here in Tennessee and are sold by most of the major marine distributors nationwide.   They have thousands of fuel tanks on the market and the SAY they have no failures.  :). They have passed the 33CFR 183.510a test which include a slosh test.

I liked the idea of plastic tanks since there aren't any seams and there isn't any change of corrosion.  I know we have at least one other 38 Sedan with the tanks already in them.

Cheers to all of you!

Lee, I looked at the drawings but did not see any reference to baffles. Since these were custom made did they add any?

Lee H Dahlen said:

ATF000417P%202-1-16.PDF

Chris Mitchell said:

Cheers to all of you!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Regional Rendezvous Hosts Wanted

Are you yearning for a little fix for Commander-itis?

Would you like to meet other Commander owners in your area?

Do you have a great idea for a Commander gathering on or off the water?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we have just the remedy for you: We encourage you to think about hosting, or, indicating your interest in hosting a Regional Rendezvous in your area in 2019.

For more information about hosting - click here:

Hosting A Rendezvous

Char Pike has volunteered to be the EC “Point Person” for 2019 Regional Rendezvous. Please contact Char if you are interested in organizing & holding a Regional Rendezvous in your area. Char’s e-mail address is rendezvous.commanderclub@gmail.com

Help Wanted!!!

New Faces, New Perspectives - Executive Committee Openings to start in January 2020

Would you like to be more active in the Commander Club? Would you like to help chart our course? Are you willing to commit the time, energy and creativity needed to assist us in promoting and supporting our mission?

We are searching for new faces and new perspectives. Positions start in January 2020 for a two year term.

There are four positions available. Chief Commander, Treasurer, Public Relations Chair and Membership Chair.

Duties for each position are located in the bylaws https://commanderclub.com/page/bylaws

More details about each position here.

The Executive Committee (EC) convenes monthly via conference call. Meetings typically last 90 minutes or less. Most work done via e-mail. Each job has its own time commitment depending on club activities. Current EC members will mentor you.

Interested in any of these positions?

Please drop Char Pike an e-mail at archivist.commanderclub@gmail.com

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service