For the last couple years I've been dreading the project of replacing the swim platform on my 30TF.  Not really sure how to tackle it.  It must have been added on 20 years ago.  While moving a davit hardware I noticed the core was soggy in spots.   Last fall a friend replaced his on a 1955 50ft Chris Craft and he inspired me... and he gave me some of his left over teak!

I started by doing a lot measuring.  The boat is 10 feet wide at the transom.  I wanted to make something that would fit the style of the model.   The transom has a big radius to it as well.  

Here is the original after removal. 

I discussed the challenge of cutting the radius accurately with a friend who runs a custom millwork shop... he offered to do it for me on his CNC machine.  The core is made from 2  4x10 sheets of 3/4 marine ply.  Seeing as it was on the CNC machine already we decided to cut a 3/8 void out of the center area with a nice 2" border to make room for the teak.  for some reason I didnt photgraph this stage. 

I laminated the 2 pieces together with Polyurethane adhesive.  Then after curing got started on laying 1.5 oz chop matt glass.  3 layers on the top and bottom.  With sanding between each layer.  Then lots of filler to make everything smooth. 

This is the result after a the first layer of Gelcoat. 

lots more wet sanding and gelcoat to get it looking smooth.  

then installed onto boat while doing my annual haul out.  I chose t nuts to hide the hardware under the teak layer.  while I was at it I decided to ad an undermount boarding.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All fasteners were cut oversized and filled with 3M 5200.  Then the teak trim cutting began. 55 boards everyone was trimmed several times.    Once the trimming was finished.  A big batch of System 3 epoxy adhesive was poured out and the assembly began. Then masking the edges and I used 2 tubes of 300ml and 2 tubes of 600ml Teak Decking Systems SIS 440.

The Final Result...

Very nice looking

Did you glue down the teak or is there fasteners?

I used System3 Epoxy Adhesive with Profill fiberlgass filler to adhere the teak to the fiberglass.  it is especially formulated to bond to the oily material of teak.  The boards had 3 x 1/8 blade rip down the back side to allow for additional bonding surface.  So NO FASTENERS!  

Nice!

Hey Russell.  That is insanely cool and beautiful!!  I have been meaning to reach out with an update and questions.  But that swim platform is amazing!! totally unique.  did you say an undermount ladder?  

My project is screaming to the finish, phase 1, with the motors placed in the boat and heading to Newport very soon to have them all connected and operating.  I haven't been in touch for a while and got a case of the "might as wells" and pretty much made a new boat.  will get the pics together soon.  

Really beautiful work!

the undermount ladder can barely be seen in the "Final Result" photo... look on the very left (port) side... you can see the 2 bits of crome showing. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 National Rendezvous Postponed

More information Click Here

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service