Would you give your hand at rebuilding a transmission? I'm thinking about it, these Paragons seem pretty simple, luckily I have a couple parts transmissions to play with and figure out how far down the rabbit hole I'm willing to go. 

Paragon Service Manual

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you run into problems I know a guy that builds these in his sleep. I know in particular that the gaskets alone do NOT seal the bolted surfaces well and they leak even with a new set. On my recent rebuild he told me you need to use permatex anaerobic sealer on both sides of the paper gasket or it will leak for sure. He said he also filed all surfaces before reassembly. I would also recommend putting it on a dyno prior to replacing it in the boat. It is $200 well spent to know it won't need to come back out in your lifetime!

Hmm, pretty sure the guy I had build my other trans didn't use sealer. I like to use permatex aviation gasket maker on a lot of things, probably wouldn't hurt to do on this. I have an engine out of the boat I can test it on if I decide to do mine. Probably fully assemble one of those spares before I try it on a good transmission. 

glenn woudenberg said:

If you run into problems I know a guy that builds these in his sleep. I know in particular that the gaskets alone do NOT seal the bolted surfaces well and they leak even with a new set. On my recent rebuild he told me you need to use permatex anaerobic sealer on both sides of the paper gasket or it will leak for sure. He said he also filed all surfaces before reassembly. I would also recommend putting it on a dyno prior to replacing it in the boat. It is $200 well spent to know it won't need to come back out in your lifetime!

The rebuild is the easy part finding good useable parts like the pump and planetary case is what we found difficult sure a few folks have the parts but won't sell you the parts without doing a complete rebuild for you around 3 grand thats been my experience anyway

That's how I ended up with two spare transmissions. Needed a case when I had the last one rebuilt. Found 2 complete 283's with HF7's and bought the whole set. My guy took the best parts from all three transmissions and made one good one. 

chris said:

The rebuild is the easy part finding good useable parts like the pump and planetary case is what we found difficult sure a few folks have the parts but won't sell you the parts without doing a complete rebuild for you around 3 grand thats been my experience anyway

The Paragon is a very simple transmission and should be rebuildable by almost anyone that is even just slightly mechanical if you are so inclined.

As for the parts situation, there are alternatives to just replacing parts. The oil pump should be good for 10,000 hrs. unless a lot of crap went through it. Even if you have a pump that is scored up, there are options of repairing the pump ground surfaces and the pump housing. The reverse band can be relined by vendors specializing in that.

The parts that really are difficult to repair are the gear sets. These could be copied but at a cost for a small quantity run.

Not suggesting that every transmission is rebuildable but I do think that alternatives to the small supply of spare parts is not insurmountable in doing repairs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Reminder: Snap Those Photos!!

We will be holding  the CCCC Photo contest again this year, so while you are enjoying your beautiful Commanders, make sure you capture those moments  and submit them when the contest begins in September.

For tips on shooting great photos, click here.     

2021 National Rendezvous

Photo Album

2021 National Rendezvous Awards

2021 Rendezvous Award of Distinction Honorees

WE WOULD LIKE TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND THANK THE FOLLOWING FOR THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS/SUPPORT:

•  Pete Beauregard, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Brandolyn Keller, Port O’ Call Manager Algonac Harbour Club
  • Cassandra Long, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Susan Romo, Algonac Harbour Club
  • Algonac Harbour Club Staff
  • Algonac-Clay Maritime Museum
  • Colony Motel
  • Lee Dahlen, Glassic Boatworks, Inc
  • Tim Toth
  • Mike Gibson, Professional Threads Embroidery
  • THE CAPTAINS AND CREW FOR BRINGING THEIR BOATS
  • COMMANDER CLUB EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
  • THE 5000 PLUS COMMANDER CLUB MEMBERS

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service