If removing and resetting my hardtop wasn't enough... 

In the process of transporting the glass from my windshield, I've managed to crack a pane.  Replacement will take 3 or 4 weeks says my glass guy.  With three to four weeks of the boating season out, I'm not contemplating deleting this year's boating season in favor of getting my last major project done... the toe rail.  

I found this article from Dick Moreland in our Files section: Microsoft Word - Toe Rail Router Bits.doc (ning.com).  I've sent a message to Bruce Martin, and I'm curious if the whereabouts of the router bits are known?  Also, in search of any additional information on this fun project that might be useful.  The objective would be to set up a sort of temporary work area next to my boat for the summer to knock this project out... just want to know what I'm in for, and what all I'm going to need for it.

Chris
1967 42 Commander
"What If..."  As in "What if we canned the boating season to try and get the last big project knocked out?"

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get a hold of Chris Wade

He replaced his teak towrail on a 38 sport fish several years ago 

There's a whole story with pictures somewhere on line  but I couldn't find it .

https://commanderclub.com/profile/ChristianBWade

Unfortunately the router bits went with the many tools and parts that Patty sold and could not be recovered.

Hi Chris,

WOW!! That is all I can say. My advice is not what you want to hear. Put her in the water and use it when your windshield is done. The toe rails will be there. This summer with your kids and family won't be. Just my silly old man thoughts. Take care. If it makes you feel better. I am still on the hard too!

better yet, make a temporary window from plexiglass and use the boat now. then replace it when the glass comes in.

That's what's going to happen to all my great specialty tools and other odd stuff

Charlene Pike said:

Unfortunately the router bits went with the many tools and parts that Patty sold and could not be recovered.

An update.... First and foremost, I have to give a big shout out to Char Pike... while the story of Chris Wade's toe rail replacement wasn't on our site, she was able to find it and recover some pictures and provide a document.  That along with some old posts, and I have a much better idea of what I'm up against.  So, thanks Char... awesome!

Now, I'll say that I'm not a professional wood worker, but with this boat I'd say it's a nice hobby, and I'm not afraid to jump in.  I also have my dad who is a pretty accomplished wood worker, so that covers the talent aspect mostly.  For other questions, I will of course look to the club, and other friends.  That being said... 

I think we will bite the bullet and do the project this year.  Sterling, it's not a light decision to do this, but we are already out of the water, and taking one season to do this, vs. a half a season, and another half a season... well... best to just jump in and go.  The hardtop is really not so difficult (now that we've removed everything it's attached to), and with already being in a shed... well, it'll be a good project for me, and a good way for my son to start getting involved.  

To save some time in the event of any problems when pulling it all apart, we'll go with 4/4 Burmese teak.  I would consider mahogany as an alternate, but 10 coats of varnish will take a considerable amount of time.  I'd perfer to have a larger cost up front in wood, stick with the original factory look, and have the option of finishing it later.  In short, going with teak should allow me to complete the project before winter sets in, and give me time to get some other projects out of the way.

I've done some preliminary measuring... On the 42, there are a total of 12 boards that need to be replaced, the largest of them being around 9" - 10" in width (the curve at the bow), and the longest being just over 12' (first boards from the aft corners forward).  This is challenge number one... finding 10" wide boards, and finding 12' 6" long.  I'll verify the measurements this weekend, but for the moment I have a place in the suburbs of Chicago (not so far from me), that has the boards I need.  Price per board foot is about $34, but I'll finalize that figure when I get my final measurements.  

Aside from that, I've started to round up the list of things I'll need on site to do the job, and my dad will thickness sand all the boards before he tears down his shop (he's moving this fall so my "shop" time will be limited to the next 3 or 4 weeks, and sometime after the 1st of the year.  On my list of key items... a drill press, variable speed router (and table), table saw, and a jig saw, belt sander, hand sander, and a drill.  There are other things as well, but these seem to be the key ingredients along with some hand tools.  I have to purchase some, others I have (or my dad does), so from that perspective we are good.

At this point, I'm estimating about 4-8 weeks to complete the majority of it.  Happy if it's shorter, but I have additional time if needed.  We'll start this weekend by starting to take it all apart...  Stay tuned!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2021 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous
Registration is open until July 8th for the 2021 National Rendezvous in Algonac, Michigan.
When:     July 23 - 25, 2021
Where:    Algonac Harbour Club
Click Here for more information.

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service