The deteriorating gas tanks have been removed  and the straps that secure them were mostly completely rusted thru.  The muflers are going to be replaced as they have rusted thru also.

There was a dangerous situation in the exhaust system where the 4.5" dia exhaust coming from the copper engine collectors needed to be reduced to the 4"dia. Coper pipe going back to the mufflers 

There was auctually steel welded to the end of the copper pipe for the reduction which seems crazy to me that chris craft could have chose  to use dissimilar metals. When I dismantled this area it became apparent  that a rusty slury had been leaking in this area for many years but went unnoticed being hidden outboard of the gas tanks which are now removed. After speaking with Tim Toth today it sounds like he also has this same exact reduction in his otherwise copper exhaust system.

The 427 are also getting some much needed  work. The intakes will be replaced as there are holes in them. All the  hoses and seals , half of the engine mount bolts were either rusted completely thru or broken so they will get replaced along with a few engine mounts which became fused to the broken mount bolts with years of water dripping on them.  Because of the broken mount bolts and rusted out lags the hold the additional Douglass fir engine beds I will also be replacing the wobbly  engine beds as needed to assure that there is a solid engine mountig surface. While the engines are apart  everything will be inspected and adressed as needed as well.

Brand new tanks and fuel lines will be going in 

All new wire harness to the engines and all 12 volt wireing in the dash.

The helm is also gettig an overhaul repairing the stress cracks, restoring the gauges, replacing the switches and getting rid of all the extra holes that have been added over the years. 

Needless to say ill have to sleep sometime next summer as i work on customers boats all day at work and then for "fun" im working on my commander most  nights and weekends

As this is a rather monumental side project 

Views: 2679

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for the note! They really are the best looking boats in any marina.  How fare along are with your project? I've really been enjoying the photos of your progress

JFK

Paul Cavenaugh said:

50 years ago, fiberglass boat building was far from an exact science.  Chris Craft Commanders were amongst the best.  It would be interesting to follow your costs, even with your exceptional knowledge and talents. (Remember to price yourself at $150 an hour).  It would be a true representation of what a "keel-up" restoration really costs.  If built today, a New 35 Commander would price out around $650,000.

There is nothing wrong with owning the coolest boat in the marina!       

The heavy glass work in the engine compartment is mostly all done now. I still need to address a handfull of issues in the bilge fwd of the main bulkhead.

Im hoping to complete all the bottom repairs in the comming weeks. 

Theres a handfull of little things (and that list is rather long) before I can begin to  start working on systems. 

That's really cool stuff - I enjoy watchig the progress

JFK

Jeremy Goldstein said:

The heavy glass work in the engine compartment is mostly all done now. I still need to address a handfull of issues in the bilge fwd of the main bulkhead.

Im hoping to complete all the bottom repairs in the comming weeks. 

Theres a handfull of little things (and that list is rather long) before I can begin to  start working on systems. 

Well the glass work on the port side bottom is just about done

Heres how the shaft log on that side  looks now after many new layers of glass about 1.5" thick.

IT still needs to be faired out a bit but first I started working  on the blister and glass repairs on the Stbd. and  my boat is still presenting me with more exciteing problems to fix .

The starbord shaft log  , which I knew had some bit of delamination as It could be heard with light percussion ended up opening up into a mess simular  to the port side shaft only much worse. 

The large void in the photo with my finger in it filled with water and sludge and is located at the frintvof the shaft log just before it pops out inside the bilge. The failed poly filler from the factory had failed,  allowing water and gunk to come in both from the bilge and from the lake.

The second hole with sludge oozing out is coming from the inside of the box frame that crosses over the shaft log on the inside of the hull. 

Fiberglass is amazing.  It leaves a historic view of what happened with any boat at any day and time regarding conditions and talent of the person building the boat. I'm also into the offshore powerboats that have extensive attention to detail. I was talking to a guy rebuilding an old racing boat and he found a quarter and 2 pennies from the year it was built glassed into an area of the hull that no one would ever see unless rebuilding the boat. It was a 27 ft boat hence the 27 cents. this person was not in a rush for sure. I cant think of a better way to show your customers your talent than keeping a diary of this rebuild process. Maybe a glassed in business card or some type of icon would be appropriate on your build?.

Paul, funny you mention about things getting glassed into the hull. Over the years  I've found coins, papers, hardware , gloves, razor blades, and even French fries. In my commander there is still a big pile of fender washers that must have fell out of the pocket of one of the Chris Craft workers   that is glassed into the inside of my keel. I also found one of the original manufacturers labels from the place that supplied the rolls of fiberglass to Chris Craft .

Paul Tuomi said:

Fiberglass is amazing.  It leaves a historic view of what happened with any boat at any day and time regarding conditions and talent of the person building the boat. I'm also into the offshore powerboats that have extensive attention to detail. I was talking to a guy rebuilding an old racing boat and he found a quarter and 2 pennies from the year it was built glassed into an area of the hull that no one would ever see unless rebuilding the boat. It was a 27 ft boat hence the 27 cents. this person was not in a rush for sure. I cant think of a better way to show your customers your talent than keeping a diary of this rebuild process. Maybe a glassed in business card or some type of icon would be appropriate on your build?.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Wall Calendars Now Available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club 2019 Wall Calendar is now available!!.  We're having to do things a little differently this year, so for calendar details & ordering, Click Here

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service