Does anyone have a suggestion on something that will allow the windows on the sides both in the cabin and wheelhouse to slide smoothly.  The tracks have been cleaned out completley and now looking for maybe a non greasy lubricant to assist sliding glass to open and close easily.  Thank you.

Views: 593

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't used this yet, but I remember other members praising the use of "slick strips" to remedy problems like this.  Here is the link:  http://www.eplastics.com/Slick_Strips

Amazon also sells this.

Lewis

We bought those and installed them when we had the glass replaced on Grand Slam.  They work like a champ.  We also use a suction cup with a handle that we bought at Harbor Freight (like for pulling dents out of a car) to give us more umph to move the windows (they are very large).

I know several other members swear by them as well.

Marcia,

This is what we use on the TEM-TA-SHUNS. From McMaster Carr

Suction-Cup Lifters

(A) Four Finger

All of these lifters can be used on flat as well as curved surfaces that are smooth and nonporous, unless otherwise stated. They have black rubbercups, unless noted. Maximum temperature is 200° F, unless otherwisestated.

Warning! Never exceed capacities. Never use to lift people or items overpeople.

(A-C) Small Suction-Cup Lifters

Perfectly sized for light jobs.

Style AHave one, two, or four finger rings. Break the suction by pressing one of the tabs on the cup.

Style Cup
Dia.
Load
Cap., lbs.
  Each
*Black vinyl; use on flat, nonporous surfaces; max.
temperature is 125° F.
A Four Finger 3/4" 25 56595A41* $7.61
Small Vinyl Suction-Cup Lifter Four Finger Ring, 4-3/4" Cup Dia, 25 lb Load Cap
Each
In stock
Replacement Cup (3-lb. Load Cap.) for 8547A21 5795A6 Each $4.78
Replacement Cup (5-lb. Load Cap.) for 7387A41 5795A7 Each 6.33

Love the Harbor Freight suction cup handle!  The strips work like magic as we used them on the sliding side door on our 42' Commander and solved an 11 year old problem (for us)!

Dave Wilson

42' Commander "Valhalla"

Grand Lake-o-the-Cherokees Oklahoma

Thanks everyone for the tips. Much appreciated.

I am assuming the windows need to be removed..{Harbor Frieght suction cups}...the "strips"..then adhere to the bottom of the glass?...does any one know the width?

Just a word on this subject.  If your boat is on the hard DO NOT make any changes yet.  Boats flex and strain in many different ways and don't like stands. Case in point. Years ago, My 38 sedan doors would not slide even with my 250lb frame leaning on them. The wheelhouse windows were the same. It was Dick Morland who finally asked me in detail about my blocking sequence. My Point is if you make changes when out of the water, you may have "locked" them all up when in the water. Make any repairs, changes, adjustments to windows, and doors about a week after launch to allow the hull to "relax" .  As a sidenote, this is why we also preach the same against doing shaft alignments on the hard as well.  

Cheers:  Lee Dahlen  1966 27' Express "Labors Love"  1970 31 Sportcruiser "Last Call"  1967 38 Sedan Flybridge "Someday Came"   www.glassicboatworks.com

Lee................thanks makes sense....will update when boat "settles in".......

We own a 1984 Commander 337 which is in need of replacing/repairing the sliding window tracks. Although this discussion string ended about 4 years ago, it there anyone out there who can help with instructions and material leads? Thanks. Rob 

Hi Rob,

You might want to start your own discussion.  The owners of three digit Commanders will more likely see it and reply.

What do the window tracks look like?

Rob Buntz said:

We own a 1984 Commander 337 which is in need of replacing/repairing the sliding window tracks. Although this discussion string ended about 4 years ago, it there anyone out there who can help with instructions and material leads? Thanks. Rob 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service