What has been the experience with the original steel fuel tanks on a 50-year old 38 Commander or similar? I see there is a description in the Files about how to install new aluminum tanks--is this a standard upgrade after a few years? The last thing I want is for the tanks to begin to leak. Can they be inspected for evidence of corrosion underneath? What are the supports - wood, fibreglass, steel?

Views: 168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Maurice,

I think a lot depends oh where the boat is used and if the tanks have been up out of the bilge water. My 1967 31 commander still has original steel tanks. My current 1973 410 Commander also has original steel tanks. Both boats live on the Great Lakes. No salt water.

I will add that two large Commanders around here have had a problem with tan colored sediment inside the tanks. May be an issue with low hours usage.

John Brock

Thanks John. It is a fresh water boat in Michigan. I am thinking of buying it. It has had significant refit. Expect to go see it this week. I am in WINDSOR on the Detroit River and have cruised all Great Lakes with our previous boat, a Mainship. Previous owned a 47’ Commander and loved it.

In this area (Great Lakes) the tanks typically rust on the inside more than the outside. I've had corrosion issues on 2 of the three boat's I've owned up here. Using ethanol fuel seems to be what causes it. My first boat a 79' Catalina 280 had so much corrosion inside the tank that the filers had to be changed every couple hours of use. When I bought my Commander I expected the same problem so the first big project I did was replace the tanks. To my surprise they came out perfect inside. The previous owner told me he only used nonethanol gas, so I believe that to be the major difference. My latest boat a little 1960 14' Glasspar also had internal corrosion, it had an aluminum tank. It wasn't terrible and installing a big filter kept it in line. 

The only way to really check is going to be checking the filters for rust/sediment, you could send a small ca,era down the filler neck I suposed, but I'm not sure it's really nessisary. 

The support structure on mine was all wood.  

Replacing old tanks is inevitable. 

However if you dont have much sediment and not leaking than use the boat until tanks begin to show signs of deterioration.

On a 38 I belive the tanks fit thru the lazerete hatch not requiring engine removal 

Hi Maurice,

During the restoration of my 1971 23' Lancer (a saltwater boat)  I removed the original gavanized steel tank to sandblast it, regalvanize and reuse it.  When removed from the boat it didnt look that bad (some rust around the ends of the tank). After sandblasting the tank it was scary looking. The rust aroung the ends of the tank actually went all the way through.  The tank had also been rusting from the inside out.  I replacee it with a slightly larger one made by Moeller Marine. I had to make a new tank cradle (made from marine plywood) since my new tank was slightly larger than my old one. I also had to made different hold downs for it. Moeller had many different shapes and sizes to choose from. I ordered it through Iboats.

Good luck and just remember that just because it looks ok does not mean that it is. I found this out.

Darryl Binder

I own a 38 from 1969 and when I bought the boat it had one original tank and one replacement.   The boat was kept in the Great Lakes and both tanks had brown sediment in the bottom.   This happens when a boat sits for a long time with fuel in the tanks that starts to break down.   My boat had sat in storage for 10 years to give you an idea.    I chose to replace them and glad I did.    I would have them inspected and depending on the condition replace if necessary.   If they have sediment in the bottom it will lead to other problems for the engines that is best avoided.    Obviously if they are rusting to the point they might leak that is even more serious.    Good luck.

Mark

On old galvanized tanks sediment also comes from the process of the internal galvanizing deteriorating. It is usually more of a whiteish powder.

I'm in the process of installing new tanks in my 35 right now.

I made a full size mockup right in place first.

My tanks have increased capacity over the old ones and have to be installed while engine are out but if you want to replace tanks with out removing engines then just make sure that your old tanks and or your new tank mock ups  can be removed thru the rear lazerete hatch.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2020 National Rendezvous Postponed

More information Click Here

SuperDisc 15.0 and Resource Collection 5.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 5.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 5.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 193 folders and 2,697 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 and/or Resource Collection 5.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4400 members in 2020.

To order now click here!

2019 Annual Photo Contest Winners

Sixty-Eight photos were submitted for this year's contest.  They were absolutely amazing, making selecting a top 3 an extremely difficult task for your Executive Committee

Thank you to all that submitted a photo to the contest and even if your photo was not in the top 3, it could appear on a cover of Styled In Fiberglass, the club's newsletter due out in November, or the 2020 Wall Calendars, which are now available.

2019 Photo Contest Winners

Past Photo Contest Winners

2019 Photo Contest Entries

© 2020   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service