I want to thank all you good guys for all the help as I did a rebuild of my 427s  the starboard motor started and ran so smooth. The port motor is not getting fuel. I put some gas down the carb and it started right up. The only things I did not replace was the fuel pumps and the port one must have given out over the winter. So I think I’m going to put electric pumps on her. So thanks guys    Pics coming soon 

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats Thomas - glad they’re running. I’d recommend trying to get the mechanicals to work (they’re rebuildable), but if you can’t for some reason, look up my posts about fuel starvation and how I fixed it. I tried several different combinations, and the one I have right now is the ONLY way I’ve been able to a) use marine-rated pumps, b) get appropriate filtration (you need the BIG Racors), and most importantly c) maintain the correct fuel psi to the carbs throughout the entire performance curve.

Happy to talk you through it if you decide to go this route, but again, unless you have a closed cooling system (which makes the mechanicals almost impossible to access), the original system is going to be the most reliable.

Thanks Matt I do have the closed cooling system if I would have thought for one minute the pumps were not good to go I would have replaced them. Never gave me a hint it was going south on me. Going to recheck it by back feeding some fuel into it. The boat has to go in Friday and my dock is just ten minutes away. I may make the trip on just the starboard motor.    Thanks again Matt 

Matt Cowles said:

Congrats Thomas - glad they’re running. I’d recommend trying to get the mechanicals to work (they’re rebuildable), but if you can’t for some reason, look up my posts about fuel starvation and how I fixed it. I tried several different combinations, and the one I have right now is the ONLY way I’ve been able to a) use marine-rated pumps, b) get appropriate filtration (you need the BIG Racors), and most importantly c) maintain the correct fuel psi to the carbs throughout the entire performance curve.

Happy to talk you through it if you decide to go this route, but again, unless you have a closed cooling system (which makes the mechanicals almost impossible to access), the original system is going to be the most reliable.

Disconnect the line leading to the fuel pump and see if you get gas from the tank to assure that the line is not clogged. It may be a simple fix. Good luck.

Mechanical pumps usually don't die because they were sitting unused for a bit. 90% of the time it will be a shut valve somewhere, clogged fuel filter or loose line allowing vacuum leak.

Thomas, I just replaced both of my mechanical pumps. Not a fun job but it can be done. Also after some research on this site I found that replacing the check valve in the bottom of the carb (supposing you have the Carters) helped the hard start problem that plagues these great engines. If you need the part number quickly it is a Carter M6905 pump. Don't go to your local parts store. Bite the bullet and order them from Jegs.

Great advice I am going to replace the check valves on my 427 's not that then need it but it is an simple maintenance task

Having a similar problem with one of my 427's. Can not get gas to input of fuel pump. Determined it must be pick up tube in tank is clogged. Difficult to replace as minimal room between top of tank and deck. Any help will certainly be appreciated. Thank you

If you think your line is clogged, disconnect the supply line at the fuel pump and blow it out with air.  An "air blow gun" (trigger controlled attachment for the compressor hose with a tapered rubber tip) can be shoved into the copper fuel line to deliver the air.

This will eliminate clogging as a possible cause.  I suspect your root cause is a bad pump.  It's a $100 or so part.  I would replace it and eliminate it as a suspect.

Keith: Thank you. I replied to you at your email address and it was rejected. I will replace the fuel if I knew where to purchase one. However I believe that the line in the tank is "rotted or clogged". It does not clear by suction. Will try Compressor as you suggested but I think tube needs replacement. First I can not locate new tube and second do not know how I can bend the tube as the deck above is too tight. Any advice. Thanks.
Jim Romer
Cell: 201-563-4132
Jim - google: Moeller fuel tank pick up

They make one where the actual pick-up tube is rubber versus solid

Jim,

The fuel pump is a Carter M6905.  Amazon for $115 and free shipping (genuine Carter).  Also from an auto parts website called JEGS.  $110.

The pickup tube in the tank is copper.  So rotting is not a factor.  Sediment in the bottom of the tank can be a problem.  But this most often leads to clogged filters and carbs from the sediment being sucked up into the fuel system.

If the 90 degree fuel line fitting on top of the tank is under the deck (mine are right under a hatch), it's a problem.  If you have round, barrel type tanks, one approach might be to pump out as much fuel as possible, loosen the retaining straps that hold the tank in place and then rotate it in the cradle until you have enough clearance.

I'd start with replacing the pump.

Left you a voicemail on your cell.  

keithferrio@gmail.com

Thanks guys for all the help I back fead some gas into the pump and it took right off both motors are running awesome 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Spring 2019 Styled In Fiberglass is now available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club publishes it's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, twice a year and the 2019 Spring issue is now available for download.  Click here for more details and to download this issue.

Help Wanted!!!

New Faces, New Perspectives - Executive Committee Openings to start in January 2020

Would you like to be more active in the Commander Club? Would you like to help chart our course? Are you willing to commit the time, energy and creativity needed to assist us in promoting and supporting our mission?

We are searching for new faces and new perspectives. Positions start in January 2020 for a two year term.

There are four positions available. Chief Commander, Treasurer, Public Relations Chair and Membership Chair.

Duties for each position are located in the bylaws https://commanderclub.com/page/bylaws

More details about each position here.

The Executive Committee (EC) convenes monthly via conference call. Meetings typically last 90 minutes or less. Most work done via e-mail. Each job has its own time commitment depending on club activities. Current EC members will mentor you.

Interested in any of these positions?

Please drop Char Pike an e-mail at archivist.commanderclub@gmail.com

SuperDisc 14.0 and Resource Collection 4.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 14.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 14.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 14.0 Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 13.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 4.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 4.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff. Over 187 folders and 2,563 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc14.0 and/or Resource Collection 4.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4000 members in 2019.

To order now click here!

© 2019   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service