I've had an engine "overheat" issue that we think we have finally isolated.  After installing a manual temp gauge after the thermostat and before the sending units we discovered that the engine is not overheating. It ran at 190 at full load and never changed. Also the infrared gun showed normal on various parts of the engine. Good news! The gauge goes over 200 then the alarm buzzer goes off.  

Now that we know this my first thought is to clean up the connections and see if it is a grounding issue. As you may know or may not know, the Total Command System was a bit ahead of its time and the complicated with a 71 page manual.  If that doesn't solve the issue I'll look into replacing the sending units and gauge.  A couple asks.

1. How do I identify the proper sending unit?  There are two and should I assume one is for the alarm?
  2. Anyone have a temp gauge laying around?

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mike - I am dealing with the same problem on my '72 41 with twin 427s and total command system.  I found my port water temp gauge to be reading 10 degrees above my aftermarket mechanicals mounted in the engine room.  My starboard temp gauge starts at zero but after a few minutes into warmup, it pegs the 220 mark, with the mechanical reading normal.

I asked the same question about the sending unit part number and I couldn't find any cross-reference between the old Chris numbers for the sending units to commercially available units of today.

After much digging in super disk, I found that AC Delco made these gauges and they require and AC Delco flavor of sending unit.  After more digging, I found what appears to be the off the shelf equivalent from O'Reilly's: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/standard-ignition-5753/air-con...

Note that the replacement has a button head connector vs a threaded connector so if you went this route you'd have to change the existing ring terminal connector on the boat side.

Now, don't take my word for it just yet as I have the replacement in my hand and will be installing it on Friday evening.  I will post back my results.

Mike,

Your description of installing the mechanical temperature probe after the thermostat and before the sending units confuses me. It sounds like you are actually sensing the temperature of the coolant at two different points of the coolant loop.

I suspect that you actually are sensing a mild engine over temperature issue. There is the electrical engine temperature sensor and there is the over temperature switch. The two sensors are on different circuits so if the over temp alarm is actually going off and you have an elevated temp gauge reading, I would say that the coolant temperature is actually going above the trip point. A bad ground will make the gauge go to full scale but will also prevent the alarm from going off.

On your engine, VT8-370, the temperature sensors are in the coolant return line from the exhaust manifold and going into the heat exchanger housing. I don't see the mechanical temperature probe in your picture of the sensors so I suspect that you are actually sensing the coolant temperature on the cold side of the heat exchanger.

This all leads me to suspect that your heat exchanger is getting plugged and not removing enough heat at full power to maintain proper engine temperature.

Ron,

Thank you so much for your response.  You have so much knowledge.  I've attached pics and will try to respond to a couple of your comments.

1. The manual sender is just past the thermostat as best I can tell.
  2. We checked with an infrared.
  3. The heat exchanger was boiled in 2017 after I bought the boat and I have continued to have the issue.  The impeller is new, and the water pumps rebuilt.  Cooling%20sensors.pdf

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

6th Annual CCCC Photo Contest Winners

1st Place: Mark Struebing, Michigan USA       Model:  1969 35 Sports Cruiser

2nd Place:   Kristian & Jacqueline, Illinois, US             Model:  1967 27' Commander Custom

3rd place:  Dawn Stone, Michigan, US                     Model:  1970 55' Commander

SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition and Resource Collection 6.0 Available Now!

SuperDisc 15.0 is an electronic encyclopedia of every aspect of Commander maintenance and repairs. The information on the disk is retrieved from the discussion forum and e-mail list, but organized in a way that makes information easy to find and use. SuperDisc is available on USB flash drive.  The Morland Commorative Edition is Superdisc 15.0 with the addition of the Spring 2020 Dick Morland Memorial Issue of STYLED IN FIBERGLASS. This is the last superdisc in its present format. 

Click here for more details https://commanderclub.com/page/superdisk

The SuperDisc 15.0 Complete Edition is for first time buyers of SuperDiscs.

The SuperDisc 15.0 Morland Commorative  Upgrade Edition is intended for those who wish to upgrade their SuperDisc 1.0 through 14.0. Each year we add over 1,000 posts. Don’t miss out.

Resource Collection 6.0 is great to own too!!!

The Resource Collection 6.0 contents include CC Catalogs and Brochures. CC Service Bulletins, CC Price Lists. Engine & Transmission Manuals. Dick Avery sketches and drawings, a folder for every Commander model, and all kinds of technical and interesting stuff as well as archived posts for 2019 and 2020. Over 193 folders and 2,823 Files. A true “Treasure Trove” for the Commander owner!

We thank you for supporting the club with your purchase of SuperDisc15.0 Morland Commemorative Edition  and/or Resource Collection 6.0. We hope you find it to be the value we feel it is, and trust you will enjoy the other benefits your payment will help provide. It’s your payment that helps to support the activities of this dues free organization that has grown from 12 members in 1999 to well over 4930 members in January 2021.

To order now click here!

© 2021   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service