When we purchased the boat we fully realized that the interior needed major work to bring it up to where we wanted it. There were a LOT of flower patterns, a lot of places where the wallpaper was coming up at the edges and massive green shag carpet everywhere. Every window had a solid valance which caused the interior to appear a lot smaller.
Being a 1969, there was never any real mahogany panels in the boat - lot's of mahogany support structure, but all the panels and bulkheads were plastic wood veneer. Over the years, every wall either had wallpaper added or padded vinyl, so it all had to come out. One thing we got lucky with - this boat never had that old boat smell. Oil, yes...old boat/damp, no.
From what I can tell, anything larger than 22" (door width) was brought into the boat in the mid 1990's, since the sectional had a 'made in' date of 1994. I suspect everything was brought in through the salon ceiling panels but have no proof of that. I do know that the sectional, the chair and the refrigerator did not come in through the door. There is no way.
As I've mentioned, we personally have no use for a dinette inside a boat, we only want to eat outside; so the dinette becomes a junk collector. We boat to get outside, so having a large outdoor table is very important to us - in fact it's one of the reasons we own our Commander. Try to get a large table outside in a typical aft cabin...it's not going to happen if it's < 50'. My wife found a wonderful 1960's teak table on Kijiji that fits perfectly. With the extension, we can see 8-10 people, but that's another post.
We were lucky that we had many family and friends come up to help on the weekends over the winter of 2016/2017. We could not have gotten this far without them.
Here are some photo's of the destruction phase.
Wallpaper is not fun to get off walls. About 90% through the boat we learned about using a steamer, which I suspect would have been a much better way to go. Oh, well. This is removing the wallpaper from the front cabin.
Aft cabin ready for primer
The kitchen had to go. It completely closed off the people in the kitchen from the rest of the boat. We were looking for a more interactive kind of space. I'll tell you it resisted, that was one strong kitchen!
Nice thing about pulling everything apart is the access you get to normally hidden systems. Including hoses that go nowhere...
It was soooo fun hauling all of this down the ladder to the swim platform and then down the step ladder to the floor.
As I said, nothing large was going out that door. It all had to be cut up.
One side of the boat filled up with trash taken from inside the boat. In the end, both sides were full - that's almost 100' of garbage!
Starting to look better
Dinette, and the raised floor it was on are gone.